Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: How to find a tutoring job?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline onemanband

• PS Silver Member
How to find a tutoring job?
on: November 30, 2003, 10:48:55 PM
I am a piano major undergraduate student in Canada. I want to do some private tutoring for kids, but I don't know how to start?

Offline Scarborough

• PS Silver Member
Re: How to find a tutoring job?
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 04:31:23 AM
1. Make business cards on your computer.  If you don't know how get a copy shop to make you some.  They are cheap to make.  Office supply stores sell paper you can run through your printer to make business cards.  You can use almost any program to design one: word, publisher

2. Make a one page flier that has more information than your business card can hold, including your fees, if you're willing to travel to clients homes, and maybe some testimonials from past students or their parents.  If you are able to build a website (free hosting on places like angelfire.com) also include that web address and your email address on the flier.

3. Take your business cards/fliers to local music stores and ask if they will please hand them out, hang them up, or place them near the register.  

4. Mail some fliers/cards to the area elementary/middle/ high school with a nice cover letter to the music teacher asking them to post your flier and music cards where parents might see them. Some schools can't do that, some can, but it's a good way to make contacts with local music teachers nevertheless.  

5.  Mail some fliers/cards with a nice cover letter to area churches and ask if they will hang them in the narthex/lobby.

6.  As at the local grocery store if they have a community bulletin board that you can hang a flier on.

....just think of any places parents with young kids might go and hang out.  That's where you want to hang fliers.  The more professional they look the better.  I have never gone as far as to put ads in the local paper or do any mass mailing.  Doing the first 4 things above I filled to capacity within 3 months.  90% of my referrals come from the local music store.  Of course..that may be because my husband works there and I'm friends with many of the others that work there.  :)

Here's an example of what my flier looks like (it's the same as my webpage):  www.angelfire.com/wi3/handerson/

Scarborough/Heather

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert