Piano Forum

Driving an Old Car The Art of Decoding Historical Instruments
How can we approach and learn about period instruments? We think the best way would be to follow the path of a pianist who actually did and additionally, very successfully. We talked with the second prize winner and winner of the prize for best Polish participant of the 2nd International Chopin Competition on Period Instruments, pianist Piotr Pawlak. Read more >>

Topic: Quick question about a certain chord  (Read 1496 times)

Offline trikster

• PS Silver Member
Quick question about a certain chord
on: December 01, 2003, 09:26:12 PM
I'm a beginner piano player, and I'm trying to learn some sheet music quickly.  There is a certain piece of sheet music I am trying to read, and has a flat on the third line from the bottom and a flat on the second line from the bottom on the bass clef.  Does this mean that whenever I go to play these notes, I would just hit the flat instead?

The music I am talking about can be located here: https://tinyurl.com/x8tb (It's a PDF file)

I just need help to figure out where my fingers go and what the flats mean...the rest I can figure out myself through trial and error.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Re: Quick question about a certain chord
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 09:44:27 PM
If the flats are written in the key signature (i.e. not written next to a note, rather at the beginning of each line) then the flat applies to all notes on that line where it otherwise remains unstated. However, if the flat is written next to a specific note, then the flat applies to all notes on that line in that bar only,
Ed

Offline trikster

• PS Silver Member
Re: Quick question about a certain chord
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 09:45:24 PM
Ok then...thank you very much!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert