Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: modulating  (Read 2372 times)

Offline lilypiano

• PS Silver Member
modulating
on: May 03, 2006, 03:04:50 AM
I turned in my harmony final today. I  think I did okay. The modulations were hard for me, though.  There was a modulation from f# minor to E flat major.  I used a vii diminished 7 of VI in f# which functioned as a #vi diminished in E flat. Do any of you know if this is okay? or do modulations have to be by only certain types of pivot chords?

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Re: modulating
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 04:14:44 AM
So vii7 of VI in f# minor would be C# E G Bb right?  (VI in f#minor is D) This would naturally go to some kind of D chord then.  Hm... Then how did you get to Eb?

I would do:

A C# F#        A C Eb Gb                  Bb D F             Eb G Bb

f#m:  i6                  Eb: vii7 of V                  V                     I

Offline lilypiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 06:57:04 AM
i used sharp vi diminished 7.  the teacher hadn't really gone over that chord. i just saw it on a chart, and it had  the same notes as the vii7 in f#.
that's right isn't it?  Eflat f g aflat  bflat   c   d eflat
sharp the six and make a succesion of minor thirds...  c# e  g  bflat... same as seven diminished

I just don't know if it's acceptable, or if only certain chords can be used to modulate.

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 05:26:12 PM
Yes, if you sharp the 6 in Eflat and make is a dimished 7 chord, then it's c# e g bflat, but it's not the same as vii7 in f#. 

vii7 in f# would be E# G# B D.

But anyway, my point was that a vii chord would go to a i chord.  So if you have a c# dimished 7 chord, it would naturally progress to some kind of D chord, so I'm not sure how that would put you in the key of Eflat.

Offline lilypiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 08:04:21 PM
I meant vii diminished of VI in f sharp.  I went from the #vi  in Eflat to V in first inversion and then eventually to I. 

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 01:28:58 AM
You know, you could establish F# minor, then reinterpret it as ii/EM.  When you go to B7 (V/EM), that could be reinterpreted as a German 6th of EbM.

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 03:00:43 AM
You know, you could establish F# minor, then reinterpret it as ii/EM.  When you go to B7 (V/EM), that could be reinterpreted as a German 6th of EbM.

Ah, yes!  I like this idea   ;D

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 03:41:15 AM

I think that Michael's is a pretty good option. I would probably latch a  I(64), V, I cadence on the end just to confirm where you're at without any doubt though!

SJ
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert