Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Für Elise: Ivo Pogorelich shows how it should be played  (Read 3187 times)

Offline infectedmushroom

• PS Silver Member
After beeing annoyed by so many, too fast, recordings of Für Elise, I found this video of Ivo Pogorelich playing it and he shows that such a famous piece, like Für Elise, can be played beautiful, no matter how much we heard it before.

&search=pogorelich

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Für Elise: Ivo Pogorelich shows how it should be played
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 12:59:10 PM
normally, i love everything ivo does.  but, the middle section sounds grossly abrupt in terms of dynamics and speed.  i know he's making a contrast, but it's like going from warm bath water into freezing cold shower.  thinking about it though - i don't really know how i'd personally make it better (have contrast  in the middle section).  will think about it. 

when i listen to the A part, i like it    when i listen to the B section, i like it.  it's just when they are put together. 

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 01:07:45 PM
maybe no drastic tempo change, but a switch from concentration on the left hand (bass notes) to the treble?  i liked his staccatos very much.  instead of getting louder, how about lighter and softer?  just an idea.

Offline rc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 10:53:11 PM
Wow, thanks... I had no idea this site even existed, what treasure!!

I think that middle section sounded fine, but the transition between the two was slightly whisked over which made the two sections sort of bump into each other. It would have sounded better if he had savored those 4 chords a little more, used them to blend the two sections rather than just flicking the switch.

But really that was awesome! The perfect tempo and feel, he really channeled the flavor. Watching Pogorelich play exemplifies what it means to have your physical movements correlate with the music, his hands flowed like waves.

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 06:31:47 AM
Pogorelich may be the most interesting classical pianist in the world today.

I would like to hear him record all of the Beethoven sonatas I think that he is capable of doing a better job then anyone else.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert