Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Video: Chopin etude op. 10-12 "Revolutionary"  (Read 6349 times)

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Video: Chopin etude op. 10-12 "Revolutionary"
on: May 10, 2006, 01:22:38 AM
got up in the morning, went straight to the piano, and recorded it !
forgive my dishevelled looks and a couple of broken strings on the treble!
https://rapidshare.de/files/20067767/etudf.WMV.html
Waste of time -- do not read signatures.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Re: Video: Chopin etude op. 10-12 "Revolutionary"
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 03:31:08 AM
Great job!  and on an upright at that!

Just be careful that you don't rush the beat with your right hand... sometimes you don't wait for your left hand to get where it's going and the beat is a bit rushed as a result.

Is that a Yamaha piano?  The pedal's charactaristics remind me of some Yamaha uprights I've played on before (easily muddied).

You have a clear articulation and I'd love to hear you play this on a better piano sometime!
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 05:36:21 AM
like jhl said, wait for the correct timing of the right hand. But a nice job ;)
1+1=11

Offline crazy for ivan moravec

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 05:54:14 AM
obviously, the piano didn't do justice to your playing, neither did the video file. you play it with great fire and your temperament is something i admire most in this performance. how on earth were you able to play without much warm-up?!

anyway, i know you have a reason for some of the problems (although there are very few of them) since you just woke and the piano isn't the best one to play on with that kind of piece. but my point is that with this kind of fire you have, i think it would be best to now focus on getting all those very very minor mistakes correct. sometimes accuracy can become relative to the over-all effect... i mean, if you play it fantastically like that, you have to make sure that you play it ultra-cleanly because the impression people get is it's dirty (even though there are only very few mistakes). and mistakes don't only mean missing notes coz obviously that's not really a problem for you if you work on it... making it sound clean must involve lots of careful pedalling, consistency with your sound with the chords, etc, etc.

don't get me wrong. it's great as it is. while i greatly admire your youthful exhuberance, i suggest you couple it with more discipline. if you can do this, you might sound close hamelin! (coz your technique is good)

watch out for the fm chord on measure 37... all i heard was the bass. that is one of the :"peaks" in this piece.

i like your intention of putting the pedal off on some LH passages to create an effect when it is repeated, but make sure that it doesn't sound planned. try to find ways to make it sound natural coz doing a musical idea has to sound spontaneous.

and get those chords! not only that, sing your top notes well. and generally, sing the RH... breathe if you must, take time (but not all of it). your musicality will be heard with your RH, and not with your LH. as the old saying goes: it's a RH etude!

oh, if you're trying to startle the audience with an abrupt opening, make sure you get it right. relax so as to make it look natural.

great playing! i can never play like that at all. i'd probably do it in a slower tempo. Congratualtions for a job well done! ;)
Well, keep going.<br />- Martha Argerich

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 07:48:47 AM
sorry..rapidshare doest work with me

Offline bearzinthehood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 12:06:20 PM
A little more attention to the right hand would do wonders for this.  Great job though.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 05:36:24 PM
from your facial expressions and torso movements, methinks you were inspired a bit by that Richter video of this piece..

Great work!  very impulsive and no-nonsense.  just the way I like it!

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 11:35:49 PM

Lol, yeah, the Richter vid is VERY no nonesense! One thing I love about his playing actually.

And this performance sounds great to me, well done. Cant wait until I can tackle pieces like this.

SJ

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Waste of time -- do not read signatures.

Offline kony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 12:01:41 PM
good tempo! and consistent even left hand. very clear.

only... you're focusing too much on the LH. after all, the melody is in the right hand, and obviously you're missing a lot of the notes.

I'd suggest you slow the whole thing down, take away pedal, and focus on getting the right hand right.

also, practice jumping. like in the 2nd of the G7 chords.

oh, and one last thing.. the right hand could do with less energy expenditure, I sensed that your hands were getting very tired about half way =P

But overall, nice work.

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 07:58:04 PM
sorry..rapidshare doest work with me

same, what is this all about? its p*ssing me off.

Offline gilad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 08:18:50 PM
it doesnt work for me either, its a damn conspiracy.
"My job is a decision-making job, and as a result, I make a lot of decisions." --George W. Bush,

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 08:33:46 PM
What?! You just got up and BAM! busted that out?!

Man, that's sick. :P ;)

Nice performance. :) I'm so envious of your left hand!

[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline da jake

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 08:37:06 PM
bravo.  :)
"The best discourse upon music is silence" - Schumann

Offline gornotsky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 11:08:14 AM
the best recording i've ever heard .....a better piano and this would beat everybody!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert