Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Digital piano  (Read 1452 times)

Offline mwf

• PS Silver Member
Digital piano
on: May 17, 2006, 01:55:52 PM
Hi,

Just wondering peoples opinions on practicing on a digital piano as apposed to a grand or upright piano. My question in a nutshell is do you think practicing on a digital piano (a very good one), is dangerous in the long term as you wont be as good a player all round as someone who practices on a grand piano for example? I cant see any difference technically myself, but to be a concert performer and study at a college or something would practicing on a digital piano all your life make you less of a pianist in general, or rather would you be levels below people who practiced on the real thing all their life.

I know this thread has been done before, but I need some expert views on the matter.
I feel my playing is very good, but I could be wrong since I dont get to practice on grand pianos.

Thanks.

Offline queenrock

• PS Silver Member
Re: Digital piano
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 04:00:24 PM
Hi,

Well, i play and always have played on a digital piano and i don't find it really limits me particulary. It is slightly different from a real piano anyway buy all real pianos are different from each other as well so i don't think that matters. I suppose people who have played on both for a long period time would know more because they have a experienced both, but personally i think digital pianos are alright.

Peter.   

Offline plunkyplink

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 05:16:34 PM
I think if you can practise on a grand piano, go for it! Otherwise I think digital pianos are fantastic, better than a not-so-good upright, IMHO. Here are some pros for digital pianos;

1. You can practise anytime you feel like, even at odd hours while wearing headphones.
2. Digital pianos are always in tune. You never have to pay for a tuner, or discover you've been playing an out of tune piano which can really screw you up.
3. You can easily record yourself, you just plug into Garage Band, and record and you don't have to worry about things like hiss and ambient noise which can make other recordings sound like crap.
4. You can plug it into a computer and use programs such as Garage Band, Finale, and Band in a Box, to create your own music, compose, print up scores, record midi, endless things you can do.
5. you can play songs using different sounds such as harpsichord, guitar, etc. (Makes boring scales more fun.)
6. A digital piano can fit into small living spaces easier than a regular piano, especially grands.
7. A digital piano is portable, thus you can easily take it on gigs, or over to your mom's to play her some songs you've been practising. Or take it with you when you travel so you can always practise and not get behind.

I have a digital piano, and I love it, and I'm planning on getting a decent baby grand or upright when I save enough money. I think it would be great to have both, because I love what you can do with the digital on the computer, especially when writing tunes. The baby grand would be awesome too, and I think it would help with attracting students for lessons, because they'd enjoy playing on a baby grand, and help pay for it, these plans are for the future, one or two years from now.

Offline bench warmer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 05:43:50 PM
The big difference I've experienced between my grand piano and my digital is that the distance the keys depress on the digital is greater than on the grand. So I found that it actualy takes greater finger dexterity and endurance than on the acoustic piano.

Some of the digitals now have keyboards that emulate the grand "keyboard feel" and response so well that there shouldn't be much if any disadvantage practicing on them

I think I would  prefer a digital over an any acoustic that didn't give me the resistance I feel  in the grand piano.

Try some out for a test drive yourself, that's the best way to decide.

Offline drjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 05:38:27 PM
I have played on a digital and a good upright both on the same day almost every day for the last 12 years (since my last child was born).  I almost always start learning new pieces on the digital as it is at my office and I can work out fingering and such between patients and during lunch.  When I get to a certain point I make a copy of the music and take it home to continue work on the upright.  For awhile I play the piece on both and it doesn't really seem to hurt anything.  I certainly recommend a good digital piano for those who need to keep the noise down, (headphones), and if you like to hear yourself playing, (recording is very easy). DrJames 

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 12:07:23 PM
I cant agree with the others.
I have a yamaha-clavinova at home and a good upright yamaha at my parents.
When i practised pieces on my digital piano and then try to perform it on the upright at my parents place, it sounds like crap.
The difference is most obviously heard while playing composers like mozart. Digital piano's absolutly miss that 'touch'.

Gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline infectedmushroom

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 12:51:58 PM
The sound of a Digital Piano can screw up a piece.

Though, I have good experiences with playing on a digital. I mostly practise on a digital and after I learned a piece, I mostly visit the pianostore and play the piece on a decent upright or grand piano. Imo, everything get's easier if you play on a decent piano. Dynamics, feeling, everything.... is so easier to pull off on a real piano if you're used to play on a digital.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert