Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Argerich, Levine, Pletnev, & Kissin playing together  (Read 2636 times)

Offline ivoryplayer_amf

• PS Silver Member
I want y'all to take a look at this great video.  Tell me what y'all think.  Personally, I think Kissin looks scared.  Its awesome to see the seasoned pianists play and then get a look at Kissin.  Kissin is good, dont get me wrong, but just looks so out of place.  Doing this though is the dream.  I couldnt imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHbyta7vy3c

I don't want to hear only critizism.  I hate the arrogent people who think they could do better.  Just tell me what you like about it, LIKES and dislikes.  THANKS!!

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Re: Argerich, Levine, Pletnev, & Kissin playing together
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 08:39:50 AM
Thats just how kissin looks in all his videos
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline matt haley

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 10:06:45 AM
I want y'all to take a look at this great video.  Tell me what y'all think.  Personally, I think Kissin looks scared.  Its awesome to see the seasoned pianists play and then get a look at Kissin.  Kissin is good, dont get me wrong, but just looks so out of place.  Doing this though is the dream.  I couldnt imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHbyta7vy3c

I don't want to hear only critizism.  I hate the arrogent people who think they could do better.  Just tell me what you like about it, LIKES and dislikes.  THANKS!!

Evgeny kissin is not scared at all.... thats just how he is .

kissin may not be the most musical of all the pianists even though I consider him to be very muscial myself but he is far superior technically to the rest of them pianists and all the other living pianist at this moment in time...

he is simply sublime!!!

Offline hodi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 10:29:25 AM
pletnev suprpasses them all... both technically and musically...

a genius pianist.

Offline matt haley

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 10:33:58 AM
pletnev suprpasses them all... both technically and musically...

a genius pianist.

wit the upmost respect i have to disagree with that

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 11:18:18 AM
having never hear kissin live, i'd say that i would have loved to hear this concert live.  he certainly has no problem with playing bach and has a great interpretation of it and plays well with the others.  i was wonderig about the white jacket until i realized he's playing the 'star' role.  kissin is a loveable guy, it looks.  why else would the others be willing to play music with him.  if they value his contributions, then we should, too. 

thanks for sharing the video.  it was great!

ps he's willing to look for direction as to tempi - and blend well.  he's no slouch at all.  sometimes reviews in the paper make him out to be the kind of player that always plays alone.  he seems that he is most comfortable playing with those that understand him and understand the complexities in music that is played. 

**if i had the choice of who i would want most to talk to after the performance, it would be levine.  of course, those moments are always just speechless.  i like him a lot.  he's a good teacher (at least from clips i've seen of conducting and playing).  he talks more than others and you can learn what he's thinking and what he means.

**argerich would be the one i'd want to hear play a 'star' role, too.  i'd ask her what her favorite pieces are.  perhaps music in general?  guess when you get that good - you can play pretty much anything at a very high level.

**kissin seems like he'd be interesting to use as an experiment of some kind at the hairdressers.  i'd like to do his hair - just for fun.  and, maybe ask him about his experiences being a professional pianist and hear him play some more. 

**levine - i'd love to hear a lecture and hear him play, too.

Offline jas

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 12:19:07 PM
**kissin seems like he'd be interesting to use as an experiment of some kind at the hairdressers.  i'd like to do his hair - just for fun.

Dye it bright red, stick him in a big dress and...

Voila!

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 12:52:39 PM

Evgeny kissin is not scared at all.... thats just how he is .

kissin may not be the most musical of all the pianists even though I consider him to be very muscial myself but he is far superior technically to the rest of them pianists and all the other living pianist at this moment in time...

he is simply sublime!!!

as great as kissin's technique is, lang lang was the greatest technician at that concert

Offline bourjn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 01:03:45 PM
I'm in agreememt with hodi, by far Pletnev surpasses all. I'm a collector of all his recordings, and have seeing him performing in concert....a true musical genius.
There are great pianists today with incredible technique and comand of the piano, but very few that can express their personal creativity with the touch of a genius.
Pletnev has it, he posses not only an astonishing technique, but he has the touch of a true musical genius.
After I listen his performances, is almost impossible for me to listen any other pianist performing the same works.

Being myself a pianist, I'm aware that this is my personal opinion and perception, but just as a note Pletnev was rated in Europe about 5 years ago as number one in the list of the 10 best pianist today. His recordings has won more awards than any other pianist today.

Bourjn

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 01:07:18 PM
i don't know much about pletnev - but from the sounds of it - he's really good.

Offline matt haley

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 01:10:09 PM
as great as kissin's technique is, lang lang was the greatest technician at that concert

I know where your coming from with that comment,lang lang was having a whale of a time

i watched the whole programme on television,kissin and argerich doing a mozart duet was reall good but what i loved...

was near the end the pianists played star bangled paraphrase(something like that) and kissin couldn't stop giving lang lang dirties!!! i found it hilerious

maybe he didn't like he playing..............

Offline orlandopiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 04:41:27 PM

What makes you think that?

Offline ivoryplayer_amf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 04:55:22 PM
  i watched the whole programme on television,kissin and argerich doing a mozart duet was reall good but what i loved...

was near the end the pianists played star bangled paraphrase(something like that) and kissin couldn't stop giving lang lang dirties!!! i found it hilerious

maybe he didn't like he playing..............

What kind of channel is are these types of programs played on?  I've never been able to watch one on tv just the internet

Offline orlandopiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 05:05:06 PM
What kind of channel is are these types of programs played on?  I've never been able to watch one on tv just the internet

I rented this DVD about a year ago. Not sure where you live, but it's available from Blockbuster.com.

Offline nsvppp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 09:15:47 AM
What about the orchestra?

I recognized Gidon Kremer, recognized as the world's best violinist of the moment as leader of the first violins. Who is the woman who leads the second violin group? Who are the cellists?

Not only the piano playing top is gathered, I guess the other instruments were also played by top artists.

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 01:55:47 PM
Man, I had no idea there was an audience there, I thought it was all for just film!
Currently learning:<br />Liszt- Consolation No.3<br />J.W.Hässler- Sonata No.6 in C, 2nd mvt<br />Glière- No.10 from 12 Esquisses, Op.47<br />Saint-Saens- VII Aquarium<br />Mozart- Fantasie KV397<br /

Offline houseofblackleaves

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 10:06:55 PM
This is the most moving performance I have ever seen.

My favorites were Argerich because she's the only one you got a clear over-view of, and Kissin because he was so cutely out of place, but still gave an electrifying performance.

GAH it's way too bach though....

Offline jas

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 12:44:48 PM
What about the orchestra?

I recognized Gidon Kremer, recognized as the world's best violinist of the moment as leader of the first violins. Who is the woman who leads the second violin group? Who are the cellists?

Not only the piano playing top is gathered, I guess the other instruments were also played by top artists.
Mischa Maisky's in there. And someone who I think is Sarah Chang but I could be wrong.

Offline ivoryplayer_amf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 06:17:31 PM

GAH it's way too bach though....

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!  lol just kidding, but I am still shocked that anyone would say something is TOO BACH.  I wish I could have met that man.

Offline chucha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 07:53:15 PM

As I've seen: V.Repin, D. Sitkovetsky, S.Chang, N.Znaider, R.Capucon, M.Maisky.

Couldn't see the rest and(!) I may be wrong ;)

Offline alejo_90

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 03:11:50 AM
chucha where are you from ?
It's better to make your own mistakes than copy someone else's. - Vladimir Horowitz
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert