Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Just a chord question  (Read 2058 times)

Offline blackink136

• PS Silver Member
Just a chord question
on: June 06, 2006, 02:53:53 AM
Hey everybody. Brand new to the forum. I signed up to ask this one question but I might just keep coming back. Everyone seems pretty cool and helpful. And now for the question:
What would you call a chord that consists of the root, the 3rd, and the 6th? Or is there even a name? I'm in D minor, but I don't think it matters.

I'm actually asking this question for work with classical guitar, but my fellow piano nerds should know as well.

Offline maryruth

• PS Silver Member
Re: Just a chord question
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 03:21:03 PM
So, are you saying your chord is made up of a D-F-Bb?  If so, that's a Bb-Major chord in 1st inversion.  That's the 6th step of the D minor scale.  The root of that chord is actually the Bb.

Offline blackink136

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 03:24:07 PM
That seems totally right. Thanks!

Offline prometheus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 07:03:07 PM
Dm6 chord would have a major 6th. Just like a Dmaj6. They would also have fifths.

So D F A B or D F# A B

D F Bb would make a Bb and D F# Bb would be an augmented triad.

Bbm would be Bb Db F. So Db as a root with a minor 6th up to A. But Db F Bb would be a Dmaj6 with an ommited fifth.

I hope this isn't all too confusing.

"As an artist you don't rake in a million marks without performing some sacrifice on the Altar of Art." -Franz Liszt
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert