Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Tiempo messed Totentaz !  (Read 1651 times)

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Tiempo messed Totentaz !
on: June 11, 2006, 07:06:01 PM
I was very deceived by that pianist i tought was so good. His totentaz is rushed, unmusical, a bit like lisitsa's Don Juan. It is totally a mess :O I don't know if it's because the conductor went too fast or w/e ... but it sucked :| Let's say Cziffra's record is way better than this one... lol. Cziffra is still unmatched in this piece !

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Tiempo messed Totentaz !
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 05:44:34 AM
I was very deceived by that pianist i tought was so good. His totentaz is rushed, unmusical, a bit like lisitsa's Don Juan. It is totally a mess :O I don't know if it's because the conductor went too fast or w/e ... but it sucked :| Let's say Cziffra's record is way better than this one... lol. Cziffra is still unmatched in this piece !
where can I hear Sergio Tiempo's recording?

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 03:58:49 AM
where can I hear Sergio Tiempo's recording?

https://www.sergiotiempo.com/

then go to download/videos and the totentaz is there. Is double study is amazing tough. And he plays the schumann fantasy op.17 in C major AMAZINGLY well. I wonder if he sucks with some good recs or if he's great with some poor recs ?  :P

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 04:50:52 AM
I wonder if he sucks with some good recs or if he's great with some poor recs ?  :P
just so you know, that sentence doesnt make any sense.

I couldnt download any video of it, but I did listen to it from the 'music' section.  He's a bit superficial (haha like lisitsa; youre right  :)), and lots of his choices in rubato are confusing as they dont add anything beneficial to the music.

oh, and as impressed as I am with how fast he pulled off those glissandos at the end, in doing so, he glazed over them too lightly and the sound was weak.  Brendel had the best balance of power and speed in those glissandos, imo

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 06:37:03 AM
i find this topic a bit ridiculous...

tiempo doesnt have as defined a musical identity as cziffra, but his interpretation has plenty testicular fortitude to make up for it.

its a stunning recording to me, and is a great alternative to cziffra's, its probably my 2nd fave rec of the piece.

technically he is superior to cziffra in a few parts too.

he is very well endowed, in every regard.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert