Piano Forum

Noah Kellman A Generous Flood of Jazz Inspiration
For pianists and teachers interested in exploring the rich online resources of creativity and tips on modern piano improvisation, New York City based Noah Kellman is probably a familiar and popular name. Piano Street had the chance asking Noah a few questions about his work. Read more >>

Topic: FIRST POST - Hello to EVERYONE  (Read 2085 times)

Offline rvPianist

• PS Silver Member
FIRST POST - Hello to EVERYONE
on: December 18, 2003, 02:15:04 PM
Hello pianists and piano-players! :) Want to thank every person who has contributed to this forum with their advice, insight, humour, and of course, their questions. I've spent nearly 2 months wandering through the myriad posts here, and found lots of useful information, motivation, and sometimes (usually) cause for envy! :)  I dearly love the company of others who share the same passions (who doesn't want that)...and it's hard to find like-minded ppl waaay Down Under...hint hint...I hope I can get lots of correspondence from all! :)

Let me introduce myself. I have roughly 4 years of solid piano experience, interspersed in about 6 years (time away from piano for various reasons). Throughout the 4 years, I've had few lessons (about 15-20) but found these to be nerve-racking because of less-than-personable teachers. I guess my bad experience with 'reputed' teachers have left me very anxious about ever attending another piano lesson, so I've been 'on my own' for a long time, so to speak. My technical abilities aren't too bad, considering the above scenario; my earliest "difficult" piece was after 2 years - Kreisleriana by Schumann (Just No 1, not the whole work!  ). I suppose it's my bad habit to tackle 'heavy-duty' works - but, my heart lies in Romanticism. Thus, I've ignored much Classical and Baroque. My Bach extends to about 2 or 3 preludes from WTC 1.  

Without a teacher, progess has been slow and difficult, and I've been teetering on discouragement for a long time. I've wanted to enter college/university, but that's a long story. Fear of auditioning? :)

So...some of the pieces I am practising, or have PLAYED, include Chopin: Etudes Op 10-1,2,4,5,12, some Preludes (biggest thrill is the bb minor, #16), Rachmaninov: Preludes c# minor, Op 23-5,6, Liszt: Un Sospiro, some Debussy (Pour Le Piano - Prelude, Claire de Lune), Chopin: various Nocturnes, Schubert: 2 impromptus, Saint-Saens: g minor concerto...uuhmmm...

etc etc...can't think of others right now...most of these I studied/studying on my own...

I love to play...want to play everything. There are many others here who feel this way, I'm sure. I hope to hear from many ppl...nothing thrills more, than ppl sharing their passions and motivating one another...

What's stopping me from getting a teacher? :(
music is the thinnest veil that conceals Divinity...
For more information about this topic, click search below!