Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Anyone know any good theory resources?  (Read 2351 times)

Offline mcirish515

• PS Silver Member
Anyone know any good theory resources?
on: June 13, 2006, 06:10:56 PM
I'm trying to learn about music theory, but the resources I've been able to find are either too basic or too advanced ... and too expensive. Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Re: Anyone know any good theory resources?
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 07:26:36 PM
look into what the local university is using and get that.

Offline prometheus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 07:29:36 PM
Any high quality text book is often rather expensive, no matter the subject.

If you are serious about this I suggest that you get a text on harmony, which is what western music is about. It must also be possible to get such a book second hand and thus for recuded price. There are several different titles. You can find them all being mentioned on this forum. For example, Kosta's text mentioned only a few days ago.
"As an artist you don't rake in a million marks without performing some sacrifice on the Altar of Art." -Franz Liszt

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 12:53:56 AM

I get all my books of Amazon a vastly cut down prices (second hand that is).

SJ

Offline stevehopwood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 02:38:30 PM
You could try https://www.practicespot.com/freetools.phtml. This is a huge site with lots of music learning stuff.

https://www.musictheory.net/ is a brilliant site for learning basic theory - it has both lessons and exercises on it. You can also download the entire package to work offline if you want - only takes a few seconds with broadband.

Both these resources are completely free to use.

Steve  :)
Piano teacher, accompanist and soloist for over 30 years - all of them fantastic.
www.hopwood3.freeserve.co.uk

Offline princessdecadence

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 02:52:32 PM
Thank you for them helpful links  ;D
~ ~

Offline dark_chocolate

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 05:55:58 AM
I learn from the 'AB guide to music theory' book by eric taylor.The book help me a lot..Good luck.. ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert