Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: LISZT Eroica Etude  (Read 8506 times)

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
LISZT Eroica Etude
on: June 15, 2006, 02:28:38 AM
Can someone post a recording of this etude, no. 7 from the transcendental set? 

Thanks!
Walter Ramsey

Offline thorn

• PS Silver Member
Re: LISZT Eroica Etude
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 08:09:07 AM
Here you go- Lazar Berman's Eroica.  :)

[Attachment removed by admin]

Offline Ruro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 05:37:02 PM
Watch Berezovkies performance on YouTube, I fear taking the time to find the link may suffer the same fate as Thorns Attachment, plus it's not hard to find either ;)

Great video as well! (Atleast I think it's on YouTube, I know most of the others are, including Wild Jagd, OMG!). It's tacky, but at the least you can use Goldwave or something to record the music whilst it plays.

Or Emule, naturally ::) Which has no spyware as far as I can tell, dunno why people say they get stuff from it O_o Must be a selective program regarding victims.

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 06:10:23 PM
&search=Berezovsky%20Liszt

Offline trunks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 07:09:08 PM
I am currently learning this etude.

One of my top favourite is from a young Japanese guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jweDYU_QC_I&feature=fvw
Peter (Hong Kong)
part-time piano tutor
amateur classical concert pianist

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 07:57:14 PM
Did you have to bump a 3 year old thread for that?

Offline trunks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 08:14:34 PM
Um . . . or did I not have to?
Peter (Hong Kong)
part-time piano tutor

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 02:27:45 AM
Either people get upset for new threads being added, then people get upset for reviving old threads.

Make up your mind people!

That is a good video of it  ;D
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline trunks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 05:41:50 AM
Oh well, whatever, as long as I do not violate any forum rule.

I ended up here because I am now learning this piece from memory, wish to get some technical advice on specific passages, googled "Liszt Eroica" and happened to land on this forum - one that I haven't been frequently visiting for ages.

So I decided to share a video link. Unless somebody could prove that I am doing disservice to this thread by reviving it, I see no point refraining from doing so.

While I won't expect a "thank you" from everybody here, at least I don't expect anything remotely that sounds like a frownie  :-*
Peter (Hong Kong)
part-time piano tutor

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 05:55:32 AM
Hey, at least you revived a thread for something that isn't discussed every day; I haven't seen stuff for this etude in a long time, maybe just some small mention.

Haha, I'm sure if you made a new thread, someone would've complained either way  8)

Makes me want to learn that one... I'm starting some etudes with my prof soon (he said at least one Chopin, and mentioned Liszt possibly); might consider this one among others.

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 06:21:06 AM
I've never understood pianostreet.com's policy, either, of leaving multi-year old threads and then someone complaining because someone new to the site either answers an old thread or starts a new one of an old topic.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Offline trunks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 06:27:43 AM
I've known this piece for decades, first heard it played by Lazar Berman about 30 years ago (I am 47). I tried to sight read the score but decided to forget it.

Ever since I've heard a myriad of other recordings - notably Jorge Bolet, Claudio Arrau, Leslie Howard, Vladimir Ovchinnikov, Gyorgy Cziffra, Boris Berezkovsky . . . still wondering why Alfred Brendel never recorded the set.

It was not until a month ago on 7 October this year when I discovered the YouTube video I shared that my interest in this piece was completely revived.

So even something 30 years ago could be revived. Why not something a mere 3 years ago?
Peter (Hong Kong)
part-time piano tutor

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 07:02:54 PM
Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Judging by the ever decreasing amount of monthly posts as illustrated on the stats page, I feel that perhaps a little more encouragement and understanding is required.

People will end up not posting at all.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 07:28:55 PM
I was the original poster of this thread and I thank you for the video!

Walter Ramsey

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 07:30:00 PM
Judging by the ever decreasing amount of monthly posts as illustrated on the stats page, I feel that perhaps a little more encouragement and understanding is required.

People will end up not posting at all.

Thal

That's interesting.  How much have the posts decreased?  It has seemed a bit slower lately, but do you think that is only because pianitisimo is not posting, and that other guy who was always trying to start stupid arguments is not around anymore?

Walter Ramsey

Offline argerichfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 07:31:20 PM
One of my top favourite is from a young Japanese guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jweDYU_QC_I&feature=fvw
That's a very fine performance.  Particularly at 3:30 (those treacherous double octave volleys), he's got fantastic control and can separate what's important from what's not important.  Great job. 

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 07:44:48 PM
That's interesting.  How much have the posts decreased?  It has seemed a bit slower lately, but do you think that is only because pianitisimo is not posting, and that other guy who was always trying to start stupid arguments is not around anymore?

It has gone from 3625 in April to 1677 in October. A bit too much to blame on pianistimo ;D

The old members have discussed everything before and the new ones are too scared to post :'(

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 08:06:10 PM
It has gone from 3625 in April to 1677 in October. A bit too much to blame on pianistimo ;D

The old members have discussed everything before and the new ones are too scared to post :'(

Thal

That's too bad.  Yes I suppose a lot of topics are talked to death.  The things I like to reply to rarely come up anymore.  I especially like theory related posts, but it seems these days people just post questions like, "How do I analyze the Liszt sonata?" or "What's a good chord progression?"  Basically trying to get someone else to do the work for them!  Outrageous.

At least the Audition Room keeps active!

Walter Ramsey

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 09:53:38 PM
Did you have to bump a 3 year old thread for that?

And replies like this arent helping :p
1+1=11

Offline trunks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 06:29:52 AM
That's a very fine performance.  Particularly at 3:30 (those treacherous double octave volleys), he's got fantastic control and can separate what's important from what's not important.  Great job. 

The passage with LH octave leaps and RH widely arpeggiated chords (also in octave leaps!) in 3:10-3:14 is even more treacherous. So is the bridge passage immediately preceding it.
Peter (Hong Kong)
part-time piano tutor

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 07:16:59 AM
It's a fascinating piece.  Can't wait to see what my teacher says when I ask if I can look at it  ;)

I've attempted the double octaves; it's the chords at the start of each figuration that destroy my hands.  I just can't get those out in the fury of those octaves lol

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert