Piano Forum logo
November 20, 2018, 08:07:15 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Minimalist Philip Glass sought to maximize his piano-playing potential

The journey he began in 1994 covered the following 19 years, and, during that time, he composed each of the chronologically numbered etudes he intended to use to make himself better at the keyboard. Pianist Maki Namekawa has now become the second artist to record these remarkably disparate works. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just a little wonder about Tchaikovsky...  (Read 4555 times)
jakub_eisenbruk
PS Silver Member

« on: June 18, 2006, 06:59:54 PM »

Why his 2nd and 3rd piano concertos are so often neglected? I have never heard them or about them before today. Thanks for any answers.

Jakub Eisenbruk,
Mexico City.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
thalbergmad
PS Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 09:12:30 PM »

Not sure about the 3rd, but the 2nd is a masterpiece IMO.

Why neglected?, I guess it lacks the instantly memorable themes that appear in the first.

I mean, you never hear anyone whistling themes from the 2nd at the bus stop, do you?

I have always thought Rach 2 was for the public and Rach 3 was for pianists. Perhaps the same can be said of the Tchaikovsky 1 & 2.

Thal

Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society
jre58591
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 09:53:51 PM »

i really cannot see why the 2nd concerto is so neglected. the 2nd concerto is probably my favorite of tchaikovsky's 4 piano/orchestra works. i really think that the 2nd is a more mature composition than the 1st and should be the one that people whistle on their way to work. i can understand why the 3rd is neglected, in a way. it wasnt even finished by tchaikovsky, but rather by sergei taneyev. i think this piece is also a masterpiece, however. it can be a little harder to get used to i think, for its melodies, imo, are not as easily accesible as those in the 2nd or 1st concertos. the concert fantasy is a great work, especially with that massive cadenza in the 1st movt and the contrasting sections of the 2nd movt. this, however, is a piece that also requires some getting used to, as some parts of the 2nd movt tend to drag.

apion
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 12:17:55 AM »

Why his 2nd and 3rd piano concertos are so often neglected?

About Tchaikovsky's PC's 2 and 3:

They're not TIER ONE

They're not TIER TWO

I suppose they're TIER THREE or TIER FOUR
jre58591
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 12:59:45 AM »

About Tchaikovsky's PC's 2 and 3:

They're not TIER ONE

They're not TIER TWO

I suppose they're TIER THREE or TIER FOUR
im not familiar with this foreign system. care to explain a bit about it?
regardless of tiers, i think they should be played more.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: