Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Scriabin Preludes  (Read 1978 times)

Offline meli

• PS Silver Member
Scriabin Preludes
on: June 25, 2006, 11:26:16 AM
Hi, is anyone familiar with this composer? (Alexander Scriabin) I'm ashamed to say that I haven't even played or heard any of his pieces! I just got this book complete with his preludes and etudes but I don't know where to start! I began sight-reading a few, and they sound quite strange. Could anyone recommend a prelude to learn? Something I could sight-read easily and perform within a week or two. Thanks!

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scriabin Preludes
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 12:20:19 PM
The one in Eb minor, presto, can't remember, but its flashy.
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline gymnopedist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 01:19:30 PM
The one in Eb minor, presto, can't remember, but its flashy.

You'd have to be pretty good to be able to pull that off in two weeks.. try number 15 in Db, it's quite beautiful and not too difficult, i guess.
Belles journées, souris du temps,
vous rongez peu à peu ma vie.
Dieu! Je vais avoir vingt-huit ans...
Et mal vécus, à mon envie.

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 01:25:57 PM
op 11 no 14 is really nice and "agitato" if thats what you like... really not too difficult, just the jumps to the chords in the left hand second time around...
Tom
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 01:52:00 PM
op 11 no 14 is really nice and "agitato" if thats what you like... really not too difficult, just the jumps to the chords in the left hand second time around...
Tom

Depends how fast you play it, heh.

koji
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline soliloquy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 04:33:19 PM
my favorites are the Op. 74 preludes.  Most of them aren't as difficult technically, but would probably give you a harder time with memorization since they reflect his late Sonatas more than Chopin's :P

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 05:23:44 PM
  Depends how fast you play it, heh.

koji
yeah... i end up playing all the three parts to each "bit" (i think you know what i mean) all mushed together in one as soon as I try to play it at a reasonable speed... meh!
Tom
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert