Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Jorge Bolet  (Read 5282 times)

Offline MasterTuner

• PS Silver Member
Jorge Bolet
on: December 28, 2003, 01:40:20 AM
I was surprised to find out that Jorge Bolet died of AIDS.  I always assumed he had died of natural causes.  Anyway, I was looking through newspaper articles written at the time of his death and they all said he died of heart failure.  I was wondering if anyone could clear this up.  I was on one website that said he was the first well-known conert pianist to have died of AIDS.  Although there have been reports of Van Cliburn being HIV-positive.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Re: Jorge Bolet
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 02:47:14 PM
Doesn't Ivo Pogorelich have AIDS?
Ed

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 11:33:48 PM
I was surprised to find out that Jorge Bolet died of AIDS.  I always assumed he had died of natural causes.  Anyway, I was looking through newspaper articles written at the time of his death and they all said he died of heart failure.  I was wondering if anyone could clear this up.  I was on one website that said he was the first well-known conert pianist to have died of AIDS.  Although there have been reports of Van Cliburn being HIV-positive.

To the best of my knowledge, Mr. Bolet died of AIDS.
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline MasterTuner

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 06:43:58 AM
Ivo Pogorelich?  I researched that.  I was surprised to find out that his wife, who had been his teacher, died a few years ago.  However his AIDS status appears to be just rumors.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert