Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Carnaval "Sphinxes"  (Read 4326 times)

Offline sary2106

• PS Silver Member
Carnaval "Sphinxes"
on: July 15, 2002, 01:33:54 AM
Hi! It seems that Schumann's "Carnaval" has been discussed.... but I have a specific question. I am performing this piece in several competitions this fall, and I don't know whether to play the "Sphinxes" or not. Gieseking plays them, my teacher's teacher doesn't, supposedly Rachmaninoff does.... so what do you guys think? I would appreciate any input. Thanks!
"Everything has to be a matter of life and death. The evidence is right here. Suffering and joy. That's all there is. They're so close, it strikes terror into the human soul."

The Mozart Season

Offline Diabolos

• PS Silver Member
Re: Carnaval "Sphinxes"
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2002, 04:31:02 PM
Hi.

Actually, I would play them. Ok, there've been some discussions about whether they should be played or not, but since the 'Sphinxes' are known as very interesting to listen to, you should dare it  :D  

I had a similar problem with the 'Goyescas'; there's a piece that doesn't directly belong to this opus (I can't recall the name right now), but I decided to play it, as some other pianists did, and the critics were positive.

So don't worry about that - if you wouldn't play the Sphinxes, the audience would loose a nice expercience.

Wish you the best

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2003, 04:57:59 AM
Hi,

Rudolph Ganz used to play the three Sphinxes by sounding the first one fortissimo in the uppermost bass octave, taking a long rest, doing the second in the next lower octave at mezzo-forte, taking another long rest, then playing the last Sphinx in the still lower octave pianissimo.  Years ago, it was believed that the ancient notation was not supposed to be played at all and was a silent enigma.  But over the years that attitude has changed and more pianists are using their imaginations to play these Sphinxes.  I'd be curious to know if Schumann himself or Clara played them in some fashion.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline stokes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 03:08:59 AM
According to Clara Schumann they should not be played...

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2003, 12:02:39 AM
Interesting, which must mean that Schumann placed them there simply as an enigmatic prank to give the performer something to ponder.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline ned

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2003, 07:26:45 PM
Remember that the subtitle of Carnaval is "Scenes mignonnes sur quatre notes" or little scenes on four notes. If you haven't figured out what the four notes are by the time you get to Sphinxes, the riddle is solved for you.  Namely SCHA and ASCH, the letters for Schumann's name and the town where Ernestine von Fricken lived. The notation is in breves, the old double whole note. In German E flat is Es and A flat is As and B natural is H. "Lettres dansantes" lays it out again.
A sphinx does not usually speak, so why make something up?
Ned

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2003, 11:05:27 PM
Thanks for the explanation, ned.  A bad day for me is one where I don't learn something new.  I had never come across the meaning of the Sphinxes before in my reading, so this is a good day.  Thanks again!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert