Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: what are you looking for in a concert?  (Read 2022 times)

Offline RealPianist

• PS Silver Member
what are you looking for in a concert?
on: July 22, 2006, 03:08:35 PM
I'd like to know what kind of playing do you want to hear in a performance?
is clarity, expressive, good technique, or expressive doesn't matter if the notes is a little bit mazzy or?

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: what are you looking for in a concert?
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 03:51:43 PM
Well, first of all, I don't separate out these things, exactly.  While clarity is one of my favorite qualities about life in general, whether in music or philosophy or any other subject, clarity always has to do with technique.  In music, one has to approach and touch the piano a certain way (with a certain technique) in order to produce a "clear" sound.  But then again, the definition of clarity is subjective and can be debated, along with these other qualities of performance, as absolutes, ad nasium.

So, without my post being that debate, I will state that what I most want from a performance is a life/musical experience that I simply cannot get from having stayed home that evening or having decided on doing something else.  And more than anything else, I have found that this has to do with the spirit of the event.  Whether it's more what I am feeling as an individual, or more what the performer is feeling, or more what the audience as a group is feeling, or some mixture of it all... I am not sure.  I very much appreciate a sincere love for life itself and the music itself, and the humility that comes along with that apperciation.  And, as I observe, that is something that cannot be faked, though I think some people truly believe that they get away with it  ;).

If I sense, at all, an air of snootiness or egotism at the forefront of the performance, it's a total turn off for me after I have paid to sit and spend my time listening and watching somebody play for "me".  No matter how "good" they may be, if the love of life itself and of music is not the undercurrent of the event, the experience I get while watching/listening is not what I would wish for it to be.  At that point, it's not inspirational nor uplifting and it becomes more or less an "empty" experience for me (why would I pay for that ?  Or even more, why would I subject myself to that experience even for free ?).  So in a sense, "good" and all of its assumed components are somewhat of a non-issue for me, at that point.

I have experienced some of the most transcending musics just sitting and listening to my students play for me during our lessons or in our recitals.  (And they are paying me... hee hee  ;)) .  Sometimes I have experienced this as they have stumbles or they are not playing with the kind of tone that I would prefer, but there is just something in the air and a humility to boot, that opens the door to a wonderful life/musical experience for me (and hopefully, for us).

When I have paid for and have taken time out of my life to experience a concert performance, I do hope for and expect most things to be in place.

m1469
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 05:17:25 PM
agreed with mayla.

and, also, to get what you pay for.  if you pay a large amount for a ticket and then find out the performer and orchestra only practiced once last night - i don't know why - but i'm po'd.  i want at least two or three rehearsals (is that ever done - is it too expensive?).  at least the orchestra has to be really rehearsed.  maybe the pianist can get away with less - saving their fingers?

also, i want it to look like the pianist and conductor are having fun together and not fighting over things. 

and, i always want the pianist to remember the orchestra and visa-versa.  i can't stand pianists who are so 'have to be the center of attention.'  i want the music to be the center of attention.

oh.  and last but not least - i think my piano teacher has the best sound and interpretation of piano music (all kinds) that i've ever heard.  and i mean that sincerely.  i hope he fulfills all his dreams with performance and ends up at carnegie hall.  unfortunately, the humble ones haven't been snooty enough.  and, he even mentioed the bad experience of some competitions even though he won some.  winning isn't the idea. it is the music and the beauty of it all. 

for me - and this sounds like getting into the genre of 'musicals' - but leonard bernstien epitomized to me - allowing music to speak for itself.  he valued each performer and made them the center of each 'solo' or whatever - but he also valued the concept of the 'whole.'  in terms of balancing the two - i thought he did a superb job.  have to find a quote of his - but something about each performer being a 'star' and that noone could be replaced.  that we are each so individual and like grains of sand on a seashore - and none is replaceable.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 05:33:34 PM
unfortunately, the humble ones haven't been snooty enough. 

I don't think that humility is synonymous with shyness and weakness, nor is egotism or snootiness synonymous with power, boldness, and confidence.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 05:38:45 PM
what i meant was the politicing and the underhandedness of going higher up.  even, as mentioned before - the piano 'mafia.'  whoever they are, i don't know.  but, you know how it goes.  the people that would control how far and how high you go - and that u have to jump when they say jump.

my teacher is too good to be manipulated, imo.  and he won't be.  he's just himself. 

ps agreed about ur message above.  i also equate humbleness with at least sticking up for yourself and not being stepped on.  but, sometimes in life - we let someone else go first - or take care of others if they are having troubles.  i equate this to not sacrificing everything in your life for music.  saving something of yourself for others and for God (imo). 

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 05:41:03 PM
For me, I like a concert to bring out a vide variety of feelings and send me home with a smile.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 06:35:37 PM
For me, I like a concert to bring out a vide variety of feelings and send me home with a smile.

Thal

i thought you smiled all the time, regardless  :D
dignity, love and joy.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 06:39:21 PM
i thought you smiled all the time, regardless  :D

;D
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 08:01:11 PM
i desire -

comedic genius

speed

fury

and rezpecable moist

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 03:19:45 AM
i desire -

comedic genius

speed

fury

and rezpecable moist

kinda what u expect in a theme park...

or not
dignity, love and joy.

Offline RealPianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 07:54:32 AM
ok..all of you here gives me some point of view, thanks!  :D

and also special thanks form1469and tds for your good and long replies!  8)

Offline bradley

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 02:19:11 PM
I don't expect flawless playing, and am not concerned if there are wrong notes. Expression is the name of the game for me

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 09:17:12 PM
You're welcome, RealPianist  :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert