Piano Forum logo
May 23, 2018, 06:41:28 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Trifonov Live in Carnegie Hall

Hear Trifonovs captivating recital at Carnegie Hall as of December 7th in works by Schumann, Shostakovich, Stravinsky and encores by Medtner. The music on this program requires poetry and passion that only a master pianist can deliver. “Daniil Trifonov’s playing has it all … he leaves you struggling for superlatives,” said The Guardian. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goldberg Variations  (Read 2713 times)
cerulean
PS Silver Member

« on: August 17, 2006, 02:27:29 AM »

After listening to them like a million times on my nano the past 2 weeks, I've decided to begin studying this wonderful music.

My concern right now is which edition/book/etc i should buy. The pdf from piano street is nice to read while listening to the music, but not for learning - at least not for me! The sheet music archive has one, any comments on that?

any suggestions welcome. thanks a lot Smiley
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

piano sheet music of Goldberg Variations
iumonito
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:39:05 AM »

Barenreiter.  Should run about $17.

If you're cheapo, you can get an Urtext edition from burtnco for about $8.  Or get the Dover one with the partitas, etc., which is not bad at all.

Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  Smiley
cerulean
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 03:08:07 AM »

Barenreiter. Should run about $17.

If you're cheapo, you can get an Urtext edition from burtnco for about $8. Or get the Dover one with the partitas, etc., which is not bad at all.

thanks! i looked it up on the barenreiter website. it says it's an urtext edition. does it have fingerings? the sample they show doesn't.
michael_langlois
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 03:21:55 AM »

I have the Dover and it is fine.  If you do not mind the lack of editing, I suggest you go with that, as it is very inexpensive (less than $10, I believe) and contains all of the Partitas, English Suites, French Suites, Inventions, Sinfonias, as well as the Goldberg Variations.

Best,
Michael
jre58591
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 08:30:11 AM »

take a look at busoni's edition, which is pblished by breitkopf and härtel. it has explanations and many notes, which can help with your study. thal posted it in another thread i think.

iumonito
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 01:51:06 PM »

take a look at busoni's edition, which is pblished by breitkopf and härtel. it has explanations and many notes, which can help with your study. thal posted it in another thread i think.

By all means, but with the enormous caveat that Busoni's is very much a free transcription, kind of like the Liszt-Busoni Mephisto Waltz.

Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  Smiley
pianistimo
PS Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 01:57:04 PM »

i didn't realize busoni did this.  despite making fun of his concerto - i love his transcriptions.  i think they are more fun to play than bach's limited keyboard useage.  busoni probably puts in the octaves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: