Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Goldberg Variations  (Read 3343 times)

Offline cerulean

• PS Silver Member
Goldberg Variations
on: August 17, 2006, 02:27:29 AM
After listening to them like a million times on my nano the past 2 weeks, I've decided to begin studying this wonderful music.

My concern right now is which edition/book/etc i should buy. The pdf from piano street is nice to read while listening to the music, but not for learning - at least not for me! The sheet music archive has one, any comments on that?

any suggestions welcome. thanks a lot :)

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Re: Goldberg Variations
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:39:05 AM
Barenreiter.  Should run about $17.

If you're cheapo, you can get an Urtext edition from burtnco for about $8.  Or get the Dover one with the partitas, etc., which is not bad at all.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline cerulean

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 03:08:07 AM
Barenreiter. Should run about $17.

If you're cheapo, you can get an Urtext edition from burtnco for about $8. Or get the Dover one with the partitas, etc., which is not bad at all.

thanks! i looked it up on the barenreiter website. it says it's an urtext edition. does it have fingerings? the sample they show doesn't.

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 03:21:55 AM
I have the Dover and it is fine.  If you do not mind the lack of editing, I suggest you go with that, as it is very inexpensive (less than $10, I believe) and contains all of the Partitas, English Suites, French Suites, Inventions, Sinfonias, as well as the Goldberg Variations.

Best,
Michael

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 08:30:11 AM
take a look at busoni's edition, which is pblished by breitkopf and härtel. it has explanations and many notes, which can help with your study. thal posted it in another thread i think.
Please Visit: https://www.pianochat.co.nr
My YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jre58591

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 01:51:06 PM
take a look at busoni's edition, which is pblished by breitkopf and härtel. it has explanations and many notes, which can help with your study. thal posted it in another thread i think.

By all means, but with the enormous caveat that Busoni's is very much a free transcription, kind of like the Liszt-Busoni Mephisto Waltz.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 01:57:04 PM
i didn't realize busoni did this.  despite making fun of his concerto - i love his transcriptions.  i think they are more fun to play than bach's limited keyboard useage.  busoni probably puts in the octaves.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert