Piano Forum logo
November 24, 2017, 10:10:53 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Sa Chen plays Chopin

Together with Lang Lang and Yundi Li, Sa Chen (born 1979) is considered as one of today’s most important Chinese pianists and a veritable international sensation. Here we can hear her in the second movement of Chopin´s first Piano Concerto in E minor Op. 11 with the Gulbenkian Orchestra, Lisbon conducted by Lawrence Foster. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goldberg Variations  (Read 2513 times)
cerulean
PS Silver Member

« on: August 17, 2006, 02:27:29 AM »

After listening to them like a million times on my nano the past 2 weeks, I've decided to begin studying this wonderful music.

My concern right now is which edition/book/etc i should buy. The pdf from piano street is nice to read while listening to the music, but not for learning - at least not for me! The sheet music archive has one, any comments on that?

any suggestions welcome. thanks a lot Smiley
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

piano sheet music of Goldberg Variations
iumonito
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:39:05 AM »

Barenreiter.  Should run about $17.

If you're cheapo, you can get an Urtext edition from burtnco for about $8.  Or get the Dover one with the partitas, etc., which is not bad at all.

Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  Smiley
cerulean
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 03:08:07 AM »

Barenreiter. Should run about $17.

If you're cheapo, you can get an Urtext edition from burtnco for about $8. Or get the Dover one with the partitas, etc., which is not bad at all.

thanks! i looked it up on the barenreiter website. it says it's an urtext edition. does it have fingerings? the sample they show doesn't.
michael_langlois
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 03:21:55 AM »

I have the Dover and it is fine.  If you do not mind the lack of editing, I suggest you go with that, as it is very inexpensive (less than $10, I believe) and contains all of the Partitas, English Suites, French Suites, Inventions, Sinfonias, as well as the Goldberg Variations.

Best,
Michael
jre58591
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 08:30:11 AM »

take a look at busoni's edition, which is pblished by breitkopf and härtel. it has explanations and many notes, which can help with your study. thal posted it in another thread i think.

iumonito
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 01:51:06 PM »

take a look at busoni's edition, which is pblished by breitkopf and härtel. it has explanations and many notes, which can help with your study. thal posted it in another thread i think.

By all means, but with the enormous caveat that Busoni's is very much a free transcription, kind of like the Liszt-Busoni Mephisto Waltz.

Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  Smiley
pianistimo
PS Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 01:57:04 PM »

i didn't realize busoni did this.  despite making fun of his concerto - i love his transcriptions.  i think they are more fun to play than bach's limited keyboard useage.  busoni probably puts in the octaves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: