Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Scriabin Etude Op. 8 No. 12  (Read 2401 times)

Offline dnephi

Scriabin Etude Op. 8 No. 12
on: August 17, 2006, 03:02:26 PM
I heard Horowitz play that piece. It's tremendous in its passion and fury.  Is it really very difficult?  Is it difficult to play it with that emotion?  You need to hear it.  It's amazing to me.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline sissco

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scriabin Etude Op. 8 No. 12
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 03:39:00 PM
I heard Horowitz play that piece. It's tremendous in its passion and fury.  Is it really very difficult?  Is it difficult to play it with that emotion?  You need to hear it.  It's amazing to me.

Good
Bad?
Good!
Ohw euh..
good  :-\

Yes...very difficult  :P

Offline bench warmer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 06:13:24 PM
Lots of fast wide leaps in the LH. Some of the triplets in the LH begin with W-i-d-e  chords over an octave like D#F# or D#G# then the 2nd set of triplets has things like C# or B or D# above mid-c before leaping back down to low A# or low B.  Some of the leaps into the upper range have chords in them also like a BG# before heading back down. Takes a LOT of Control.

Then of course you got the RH that needs to do it's thing.

It's  definitely a workout!

Offline kaiwin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 09:28:12 PM
It won't be that difficult if you use good practice like I mentioned in your other post. It needs slow practice and probably rhythms.  8)

Hope this helps!

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 09:58:02 PM
Good
Bad?
Good!
Ohw euh..

The one you quoted as bad is the one who gets the most deeply in the mood of the piece, all the patheticity. It is my favorite interpretations of it in the ones on the above, and by far superior to Kissin's one, even objectively. In terms of sound, emotion and color, Horowitz is way better than Kissin.

Offline dnephi

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 10:34:54 PM
The one you quoted as bad is the one who gets the most deeply in the mood of the piece, all the patheticity. It is my favorite interpretations of it in the ones on the above, and by far superior to Kissin's one, even objectively. In terms of sound, emotion and color, Horowitz is way better than Kissin.
I must say I agree but I didn't dare say so.

Noun form of pathetic is pathos btw.

And how on earth do you play those 12ths he put in there lol?
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 10:47:11 PM
I must say I agree but I didn't dare say so.

Noun form of pathetic is pathos btw.

And how on earth do you play those 12ths he put in there lol?

I didn't mean to use it as noun but w/e:P For the 12th, or you have huge hands, or you arpegiate(wich most of people will do lol).

Offline lung7793

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 06:12:03 AM
Good
Bad?
Good!
Ohw euh..

Yikes...Kissin murdered it more than played it I think.  Too bangy, maybe it's just the piano.  Still, admirable to watch people who can play it :)

Offline dnephi

Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 09:57:06 AM
My Book by Ernest Hutcheson rates it difficult, with vers la flamme and a sonata as very difficult.  Hope it's not too bad.

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 10:10:32 AM
My Book by Ernest Hutcheson rates it difficult, with vers la flamme and a sonata as very difficult.  Hope it's not too bad.
Depends on what you can play...
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 08:52:48 PM
Good9

Yes, it's good! A little strident and clipped at times. The RH octaves in the f#m middle section are unbelievable  :o . Reminds me of a tank rolling over the enemy, firing as it goes, or an erupting volcano.  >:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTe1xMB9Uk Bad?

No, it's good. The wrong notes are unfortunate but do not detract from the flow of the music, which is very beautiful. Probably the best of these performances, it best conveys the beauty of the melody and the idea of "flight" that Scriabin tried to capture in sound; this performance seems to soar.  Heh let's see how you do when you're 82!  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfXjk7GkCF8 Good!

Meh. He's seems like he's trying really hard when he doesn't have to. The phrasing is stilted and certain LH notes are too audible, they stick out where they should just be part of the texture. This didn't do much for me, although it's excellent playing. I like his sound.  :)

=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline beanman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 10:45:44 PM
Good
Bad?
Good!
Ohw euh..
good 

Yes...very difficult 

(I DISAGREE!!)

1st one - okay
2nd one- f** amazing
3rd one  - bolox
4th one - v. good
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert