Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Playing piano for guests.  (Read 7805 times)

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Playing piano for guests.
on: September 03, 2006, 08:28:02 PM
  Do you guys play piano often for guests, am being asked more and more recently to play for guest classical music, tonight i playd chopin ballad in g minor ,nocturnes for the adults and Beethoven Fur elise for the children. Please share your experience and what you play for guests.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline gonzalo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Playing piano for guests.
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 08:45:53 PM
  Do you guys play piano often for guests, am being asked more and more recently to play for guest classical music, tonight i playd chopin ballad in g minor ,nocturnes for the adults and Beethoven Fur elise for the children. Please share your experience and what you play for guests.

I play for guests:

Schubert impromptu op.142 nº2
2nd mov. of Pathetique sonata.
Nocturne op.9 nº2 , Chopin.
Some preludes from the WTC , like nº9, nº17, etc.
Prelude from Partita nº1, Bach.

I usually play slow pieces, but if I see that the guests are bored, I'll play something flashy and quick.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 09:09:44 PM
I never play for guests.

I used to until someone did not like my Henselt Nocturne and asked if i new the theme tune to Eastenders.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline bench warmer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 09:29:08 PM
Usually, nobody askes me to play until too much wine (or other alcohol) has been consumed for me to play well or them to listen well. Oh well. :-\

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 01:50:44 AM
I constantly get asked to play, even when I am supposed to be relaxing and enjoying myself at a restaraunt. Everytime I pass a piano with friends they say, look Ben a piano!

When I am in a restaraunt situation I will play restaraunt music ehhe. Stuff like music from the 40s-80s (which includes a lot of hollywood movie music), Latin music, Jazz stuff etc. This was recordings of my restarunt style music I posted a little while back.
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,19860.msg216683.html#msg216683

When I am at home I will play anything, usually stuff I have been learning which is 99% of the time Classical piano, or requests which is most of the time the general list everyone knows, all those famous classical pieces I don't even need to mention.

Im a little strange though, I don't like people talking while I am playing, so usually I will not play a piece completely because I don't believe people are listening to it closely enough. I can't get that thought process out of my head, even when I am doing concerts I feel the same. But I guess so long one person listens closely I should be happy and play for them.

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline debussy symbolism

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 02:24:39 AM
Greetings.

One thing is to play for them, the other is to have them listen.

Offline rc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 02:59:40 AM
I usually try and play a bit for guests, just whatever I've got in my memory.  Either they'll ask, or I'll just hop on when the time is right.

One thing is to play for them, the other is to have them listen.

This is true.  It's great if somebody enjoys the music, but even if nobody is really listening I like to have the performance practice.

It really helps to talk a little about the piece beforehand.  Anything really, what you like about it, what the title means, a little biography-tidbit on the composer...  Even just "I like this piece, it's by Bach, it's a lot of fun" seems to help people focus on the playing.

I'd like to make an opprotunity to get into some details of form and aesthetic to a listener, with some quick examples before performing.  Really help them understand the styles. 

One day, with recordings, I explained a few things to a friend about how the music is organized and he was really able to get into it.  The main thing is to be able to focus their attention on the music, most casual music listeners are used to music as background...

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 04:13:56 AM
Rosenthal recounted that at a dinner party, Busoni decided to play for the guests.  Without getting up from the keyboard, he played Beethoven op. 101, 106, 109, 110, and 111. 
"It was a heavy dinner," said Rosenthal.

Walter Ramsey

Offline kriskicksass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 05:35:37 AM
Rosenthal recounted that at a dinner party, Busoni decided to play for the guests.  Without getting up from the keyboard, he played Beethoven op. 101, 106, 109, 110, and 111. 

Walter Ramsey

Busoni was famous for ridiculously long recital programs. Besides, I certainly wouldn't have minded if I were there!

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 06:05:42 AM
I constantly get asked to play, even when I am supposed to be relaxing and enjoying myself at a restaraunt. Everytime I pass a piano with friends they say, look Ben a piano!

When I am in a restaraunt situation I will play restaraunt music ehhe. Stuff like music from the 40s-80s (which includes a lot of hollywood movie music), Latin music, Jazz stuff etc. This was recordings of my restarunt style music I posted a little while back.

Im a little strange though, I don't like people talking while I am playing, so usually I will not play a piece completely because I don't believe people are listening to it closely enough. I can't get that thought process out of my head, even when I am doing concerts I feel the same. But I guess so long one person listens closely I should be happy and play for them.
That's exactly the same to me!!!
Currently learing:
- Chopin: Ballade No.3
- Scriabin: Etude Op. 8 No. 2
- Rachmaninoff: Etude Op. 33 No. 6
- Bach: P&F No 21 WTC I

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 06:15:35 AM
I never play for guests.

I used to until someone did not like my Henselt Nocturne and asked if i new the theme tune to Eastenders.

Thal

LOL i bet there's nothing wrong with Henselt Nocturne,just you guest trying to be funny.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline jalgor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 10:31:41 AM
Scales and arpeggios.

Offline ce nedra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 11:19:51 AM
No zheer... i dont think thalbergmad's guest was trying to be funny... My mother had friends over the other day, and the one lady asked me (very sincerely) if I could play anything by Barry Manilow. I've had requests for smashing pumpkins, kindergarten songs, metallica (!!??) and... my personal favourite.... VIVALDI. So no, they joke not, they are just truly ignorant.

EVERY TIME someone comes over... I MUST PLAY.... i've started mysteriously dissappearing at those times. I hide. Or play dead. I cant just say "no- dont feel like it" cos then they look all hurt... as if I'm expected to. Or as if I said I was going to in the first place, or whatever.You know, really, if you want to hear me, come to one of my concerts and PAY. I'm starting to get severely fed up with tea time quick little pieces. And being told I play like "an angel" by old ladies who cant even tell the difference between Bach and Stockhausen.
This forum is like a bad cigarette...

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 05:50:54 PM
No zheer... i dont think thalbergmad's guest was trying to be funny... My mother had friends over the other day, and the one lady asked me (very sincerely) if I could play anything by Barry Manilow. I've had requests for smashing pumpkins, kindergarten songs, metallica (!!??) and... my personal favourite.... VIVALDI. So no, they joke not, they are just truly ignorant.

EVERY TIME someone comes over... I MUST PLAY.... i've started mysteriously dissappearing at those times. I hide. Or play dead. I cant just say "no- dont feel like it" cos then they look all hurt... as if I'm expected to. Or as if I said I was going to in the first place, or whatever.You know, really, if you want to hear me, come to one of my concerts and PAY. I'm starting to get severely fed up with tea time quick little pieces. And being told I play like "an angel" by old ladies who cant even tell the difference between Bach and Stockhausen.

Have you tried improvising some avant garde?  They'll either love it or be scared to ask you to play next time.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline leucippus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 06:04:37 PM
Scales and arpeggios.
Me too.

I'm new to the piano but I've played other instruments most of my life.  Like others, I really get upset when people ask you to play and then sit around and BS to each other completely ignoring you.  Why did they even ask in the first place?

So I got to the point where when people ask me to play I play the most unintersting exercises I can think of.  Usually they don't even notice, and just say, "That was nice".

I played Hanon exercise #21 for some relatives the other day.  Surprisingly they actually listened to the whole boring piece and afterward they clapped and said it was great! ;D

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 06:25:36 PM

I played Hanon exercise #21 for some relatives the other day.  Surprisingly they actually listened to the whole boring piece and afterward they clapped and said it was great! ;D

How about a "Hanon Fantasia" or "Hanon pastiche"?  It could be an ostinato like in Ligeti's Fanfares with all sorts of melodic fragments over it, and the ostinato is always switching octaves and changing its rhytmic inflection... omg where is staff paper when you really need it!

Walter Ramsey

Offline cfortunato

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 07:10:34 PM
My mother had friends over the other day, and the one lady asked me (very sincerely) if I could play anything by Barry Manilow. I've had requests for smashing pumpkins, kindergarten songs, metallica (!!??) and... my personal favourite.... VIVALDI. So no, they joke not, they are just truly ignorant.

I LIKE that.  You know what I like about playing Twisted Sister or Pink Floyd on the piano?  The invariable comment: "I didn't know you could do that on a piano."  The reply?  "You can do ANYTHING on a piano."

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 09:41:14 PM
If I know the guest is a real music lover then I shall try to the best of my ability to please. If the guest asks me to play and then starts a conversation with somebody or leaves the room, I tend to stop playing; what's the point ? Or if, after I have made an effort to please, the guest remarks how much better somebody else plays or how I ought to play in the dark with coloured lights on my fingers, my enthusiasm for playing for them is inclined to wane.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 09:50:52 PM
, the guest remarks how much better somebody else plays or how

That's terrible. How mordant and arrogant of them.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 10:41:47 PM
Yes, it is pretty rude, but it has happened to me quite often. I don't know why people do it. If the intention is to hurt they are wasting their time because I know in general my playing is pretty rough, comparatively speaking. I don't want praise, I just enjoy myself. If they don't enjoy it then that's fine, I shan't bother playing. In short I think it is psychological on their part rather than musical.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline leucippus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 12:49:19 AM
Yes, it is pretty rude, but it has happened to me quite often. I don't know why people do it. If the intention is to hurt they are wasting their time because I know in general my playing is pretty rough, comparatively speaking. I don't want praise, I just enjoy myself. If they don't enjoy it then that's fine, I shan't bother playing. In short I think it is psychological on their part rather than musical.
I agree that's rude and people do it all the time with everything.  People ask to see my garden and when I show it to them they start bragging about someone else's garden that I should see.  Or I'll be working on a quilt and they ask to see it and then tell me about someone they know that makes beautiful quilts and I should to see them to get some tips and advice.

I'm not interested in comparing my accomplishments with other people.  I just do what I do and I'm sure there are people who do better and there are people who do worse.  Moreover, why should I compare my little private homely garden with someone else who basically does gardening for a living and has a fruit and vegetable stand?  Or compare my little homely quilt with someone who is obsessed with making quilts and enters them into contests constantly.

Same goes with my piano and violin playing.  I do my thing for my own enjoyment.  I'm not interested in being compared with paid performers who do this for a living for crying out loud.  They better be good at it, it's their CAREER!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 04:01:27 AM
I could understand someone sharing their ideas about someone else who does something, but to belittle you for saying that they are better is just very mean.

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 04:53:41 AM
As already mentionned, playing for people who have no clue about classical music is frustrating. On the other hand, if the people are not ignoramuses, it might be intimidating. Anyway playing in front of people is the only way to prepare for future performance. Difficult choice.
No way I would learn Fur Elise to please the mainstream casual clueless guest  ;D.
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 10:05:21 AM
I don't want praise, I just enjoy myself. If they don't enjoy it then that's fine, I shan't bother playing. In short I think it is psychological on their part rather than musical.

I don't really trust praise, because it may not be genuine, or it may not come from someone with the skills to judge.  Same with criticism.

What I trust is:  do they hire me again? 

That is the only compliment that means anything. 
Tim

Offline rc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 03:53:07 AM
I must not have an ego.  It doesn't bother me at all to be compared to someone else, just go with it.  "Really? I should hear them play sometime, do you have a recording I could hear?" or "Yeah I've heard of Ashkenazy from somewhere, he really IS amazing, love the clarity".

They don't mean offense, it's just what they have to relate to your playing.

No way I would learn Fur Elise to please the mainstream casual clueless guest  ;D.

I would.  It's a beautiful piece, and easy for people to enjoy...  A good way to introduce someone to something different.  "so you like Beethoven?" (nobody ever says they don't like Beethoven)  "...well here's something else by Beethoven"  (Sonata movement) or "...here's something by a teacher of Beethoven's"  (Haydn Sonata) or "They say 10,000 people attended Beethoven's funeral.  Brahms was born 6 years after LVB's death, he really idolized Beethoven."

It's a good way to introduce somebody to something new - relate it to something familiar.  Nothing is more familiar than Fur Elise ;D

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 04:41:29 AM
I never play for guests. I explain the piano playining for me is my work and I don't really feel like working, while everybody else is partying.   

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 05:02:47 AM
I would.  It's a beautiful piece, and easy for people to enjoy...  A good way to introduce someone to something different.  "so you like Beethoven?" (nobody ever says they don't like Beethoven)  "...well here's something else by Beethoven"  (Sonata movement) or "...here's something by a teacher of Beethoven's"  (Haydn Sonata) or "They say 10,000 people attended Beethoven's funeral.  Brahms was born 6 years after LVB's death, he really idolized Beethoven."

It's a good way to introduce somebody to something new - relate it to something familiar.  Nothing is more familiar than Fur Elise ;D
Well the problem is that I basically dislike 90% of LVB's piano music (I'm going to be lapidated, here  ;D). It has nothing to do with the fact that Fur Elise is over-massacred by almost all wannabe penizts of the planet. I don't mind learning overplayed repertoire as a principle. But I mind learning something I dislike.
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline drjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: September 07, 2006, 03:01:17 PM
We all run into this problem from time to time in various ways.  If you're a piano player, you get asked to play, if you're a doctor you get asked medical questions. Yes, by complete strangers.  You can always firmly, but politely say no.  Or you can do as little as possible such as a brief generic answer or a brief generic piano piece such as Fur Elise or a Chopin prelude.  Maybe not even the whole thing because as many of you suggest the people aren't really interested in hearing the music, they just want to see if you can really play or not. The sense that I get though is that many of you feel pressured to play for people when you don't want to.  Don't be afraid to say "No, not right now." You will probably feel better about yourself afterwards.  James

Offline melengi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: September 07, 2006, 09:55:23 PM
Have you tried improvising some avant garde?  They'll either love it or be scared to ask you to play next time.

WORD

i hate being asked, cos all they ever want to hear is a chopin nocturne, usually the hideously overplayed one in e flat

which makes it fun to whip out the schnittke/kurtag/ligeti

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: September 08, 2006, 01:31:39 AM
I am always pushed by my parents to perform for the guests on an occasion. What do they think I am? And rushing me isn't going to get me to play for them. My mother also tried to persuade me to let her record myself play my material to send it to my grandparents who live far away How can I record something that isn't at all ready?

Offline ce nedra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: September 08, 2006, 01:30:03 PM
DS- how can they expect you to play for guests properly if they never let you practise???
This forum is like a bad cigarette...

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: September 08, 2006, 04:49:47 PM
Mazurkas. I keep at least 2 or 3 in memory, as usually whenever I'm with friends/family around a piano, I get asked to play.

The softer Scriabin preludes are really nice to play for adults. :) And kids LOVE Schumann, haha.
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: September 08, 2006, 05:30:38 PM
DS- how can they expect you to play for guests properly if they never let you practise???

No no that was on one day only, Sunday. That one time they just were not in mood and I can undestand that. Of course they let me practice, would be rediculous if they didn't.

Offline starpianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: September 08, 2006, 10:59:43 PM
I never play piano for guests. I don't think my playing is bad at all, though.  ;)
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give people permission to do the same. ~Marianne Williamson

Offline theswede

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: September 12, 2006, 06:42:55 PM
I once got the comment: Rubinstein plays it better ( he was still alive at that time-but old )

I replied- But he has had a much longer time to practice since he is so old.... :)

Offline joca_hdj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: September 12, 2006, 08:29:21 PM
well,lot of my friends don't understand classic music at all,so i play them jazz or any popular piece.i' ve been asked to play almost everything from guns and roses to chopin.
for those who do understand classic music or play piano,hmm,rachmaninov and scryabin
Jovan

Offline cmg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: September 13, 2006, 09:13:57 PM
I do what others above suggested:  I just improvise in whatever style strikes my fancy.  Rarely does anyone ask who the composer is.  If they do, I always say "Tcherepnin."  That stumps them!
Current repertoire:  "Come to Jesus" (in whole-notes)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: September 13, 2006, 11:02:23 PM
That's interesting

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: September 14, 2006, 02:30:57 PM
You titled the thread "playing" but I think are talking more about performing or practicing.  The three activities all involved fingers hitting a piano but are very different in approach.

I think with guests you should play - that means have fun, with no particular attempt to improve technique or make profound musical statements.  You should not stress either yourself or your guests.  This implies you should have some repertoire that is easy to play and easy to listen too - pops stuff, basically.  Or light classics might be a better term. 
Tim

Offline penguinlover

Reply #39 on: October 06, 2006, 06:52:05 PM
I would play, but I hate being background music!  When they all start talking and leave me out, I quit!  Or I start playing, and they want to talk to me at the same time.  I just quit, and possibly finish the piece in several sittings.

Offline lava

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: October 06, 2006, 09:37:46 PM
Since a while i am a host in a hospitality exchange program for foreigners who want to stay at a local for free. People from all over the world have listened to my playing and they all liked it. I know about 15 pieces by memory and can play them pretty well. Mostly they are quite short so they don't start to bore people. I usually play for them accessible music of Chopin, Bach, Schubert, Schumann, Godowsky, Albeniz, Debussy. As my guests will for sure ask me to play some piano, I do it before starting with the beer or wine to avoid any disaster. 

Offline avetma

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: October 07, 2006, 08:56:37 AM
I don't like to play for guests, but I often have to because they ask me to. Usually I play Chopin's Minute Waltz, Nocturne in e-flat or Winter Wind. When I am not in a mood, I like to play Prokofiev's Suggestion Diabolique. That is always good choice if you don't want them to ask you for an encore ;D

Offline nastysanta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: June 26, 2007, 07:18:28 PM
often when my parents have guests over for dinner i start playing just because i get bored with their conversation but they won't let me leave the table. And also because it's fun to play for people who know absolutely nothing about music. You can play "the entertainer" and the will worship the ground you walk on  ;)

Offline electrodoc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: June 27, 2007, 11:52:53 PM
I guess from this post that you are in your teens, Your parents have invited guests over and now expect you to play to entertain these guests (probably not your friends but friends of your parents). Both boring and possibly embarrassing! So why do your folks put you through this, especially if they know that you do not like it? First, remember that adults, boring old farts that they may appear, are useful for some things like buying a piano, paying for lessons, supplying you with cash, putting meals in front of you etc., etc. They are proud of you and your achievements and naturally want to show this off. Kudos for them (and brownie points for you). Why not accept the invitation gracefully? By doing so you will please the folks, and perhaps more important, gain experience of performance in front of an audience. This is always useful.

Some contributors to the post complain that having been invited to play, that they do not listen. That they talk through your performance. I am sorry to say that not all adults have good manners. Also, most of the general public (which includes these guests) have very little knowledge of or appreciation of classical music. Possibly they are frightened of it because it is something that they do not understand. You have the advantage having studied it and put blood sweat and tears into attaining a good level of performance. Therefore these poor folk need your help. Since they will recognize a familiar tune why not play something that they are likely to have heard before. Works like Fantasy Impromptu, Chopet Op 10 No3, Revolutionary, Eb Nocturne, etc. come to mind, or possibly a familiar Schubert Impromptu. In fact, no need to play the whole work - just the bit that they are likely to like. They will ask for more if they are really interested.

Now you have earned brownie points with your folk, gained some respect from the guests (you can do something that they can't), added to your performance experience and can now gracefully exit feeling good. OK if they are not listening then that is their problem not yours.

Best of luck next time it happens.

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: June 28, 2007, 07:53:26 AM

...but Busoni didn't choose to play...he was apparently forced by the host to play...so yeah...

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: June 28, 2007, 09:51:10 AM
Usually a slow and a fast piece.
I usually start off with Scriabin's Etude op2 no1
then i play a fast and furious piece.
Sometimes I even improvise atonally :P

laugh?
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline ekirth

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: June 28, 2007, 08:38:23 PM
I suppose I'm lucky in the fact that most of my parents' friends and my friends are either familiar with music (kids who play, etc.) or are musicians themselves, so I usually play whatever I'm learning at the moment that sounds half decent (I think last time I performed a ballade by Brahms). They usually listen (and suffer? sometimes) through it too w/o talking much, which is awesome.  ;D

But often when my parents have guests over for dinner i start playing just because i get bored with their conversation but they won't let me leave the table. And also because it's fun to play for people who know absolutely nothing about music. You can play "the entertainer" and the will worship the ground you walk on  ;)
That's hilarious. :)

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: June 28, 2007, 09:13:52 PM
These are interesting responses - do you feel nervous about playing at all? 
I feel like I need to be in my zone when I'm playing - and then the music flows.

I know music is a big form of entertainment for many - but for me it's much more personal.
And so to play whatever someone wants me to play frustrates the deep part of me where I want to play something different.   It is like telling someone that is painting what color to use next.  I don't want to be a snob about it - I just want to find expressiion and freedom in my music.

I really do love playing - but I've found that people keep asking me to play other songs while I'm on one. = and they can't sit back and absorb the music.  It's almost like they are saying, "What else can you do?"  While I feel like my music is pouring my heart out.  :)

Sometimes you hear these other people telling the others to shut up - while you're playing - and it makes me feel tense that someone else that doesn't want to listen to me is refraining himself from talking....does this sound silly? 

Then there are some people who just want to hear whatever you play - then I enjoy it a lot.

Offline rc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: June 29, 2007, 05:28:02 AM
Sometimes you hear these other people telling the others to shut up - while you're playing - and it makes me feel tense that someone else that doesn't want to listen to me is refraining himself from talking....does this sound silly?

I know what you mean, it's almost embarassing to put up with the facade.  But then, to think that the person whose listening doesn't want to be distracted - the talker can go into another room if they're completely uninterested.

Then there are some people who just want to hear whatever you play - then I enjoy it a lot.

Me too.  I try and do my part and listen to anyone else who plays too.

Have you ever come across a performance that makes you stop in your tracks?  whether live or recorded, some performances are just awesome.  The ones that you don't have to spend any attention on, but they GRAB your attention...  I'd also like to do more of that quality playing ;D

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: June 29, 2007, 07:32:39 PM
i once had somebody ask me if i could play them mozarts A minor concerto. I just laughed
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert