Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven - "Tempest"-sonata (Recital)  (Read 7564 times)

Offline haukmarki

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven - "Tempest"-sonata (Recital)
on: September 12, 2006, 09:26:48 AM
As I've added Schumann (Abegg) and Chopin (Nocturne) from a recital last fall, I also want to share with you my favourite piece from the concert, Beethoven's "tempest"-sonata, op. 31 no.2. Feedback is most welcome!

Offline radical.tunes

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven - "Tempest"-sonata (Recital)
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 01:16:03 PM
first i am sorry for my English. ::)
i heard the sonata it is a really good preformance, you have a good temperament an the right charcter, i think, but in some places there are tempo problems (the hardest thing :-)). maybe it is just the quoplity of the recording but you should make much more contrast between forte and piano, and make much bigger creschendo and diminuendos, i mean you making the dinamics but in many places you should do it much more in order that it will be more clear for the leastener.
but very good! i enjoid you very much, really. btw how old are you?

Offline haukmarki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 01:28:08 PM
i heard the sonata it is a really good preformance, you have a good temperament an the right charcter, i think, but in some places there are tempo problems (the hardest thing :-)). maybe it is just the quoplity of the recording but you should make much more contrast between forte and piano, and make much bigger creschendo and diminuendos, i mean you making the dinamics but in many places you should do it much more in order that it will be more clear for the leastener.
but very good! i enjoid you very much, really. btw how old are you?

First of all, thanks for your feedback. The recording is far from professional, but I won't use that as an excuse for any lack of dynamics. I would be glad if you told me where you think there is some tempo-trouble. I'm 19, btw.

Offline radical.tunes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 02:09:49 PM
hi!
abou the tempo starting from bar no. 42 and especcialy about bar no 50 but it is not so heard your rubatto on 75, 77, 79 81 is problematic because it is the same about 4 times in a small period of the mov. when you repeat you nearly don't make to acchelerando but you making this rubatos that i think not good there.
all this is not so important. but the thing is really important in my opinion is that in the development your allegro are much faster than the allegros in the exposition (i thing that how it is called in english). another thing is that you are making a ritardando on bar 133 - it is nice but it's not what beethoven wrote. it is good that your making beethoven's pedal on the largo after it.
than the allegro on bar 159, very good tempo but then on bar 171 you just change the tempo at all. and another thing the rit at the end - no rit.
beside the tempo that is not hard to correct you are a really great pianist. and if you were not so great i would not lose my time sitting and writing all this.
i hope i am not tallking bullshit, but that's my opinion

Offline troglodyte

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 06:56:23 PM
I liked the Beethoven. The piece clearly means something to you and you convey it well. Technically you seem to have mastered it.

Your main problem I think is with rhythmic stability. I have learned that Beethoven was insipred by the sound of a galloping horse for this movement, and to continue the analogy your horse sometimes stumbles where it should soar. You might considering lowering the tempo - I find it a little fast though that is a matter of taste - but above all try to keep the pace and avoid rushes. If you are really unaware that you rush it sometimes try playing it through with a metronome and you will notice. I'm not saying never use rubato, and certainly at the end of the development a  considerable freedom could be used, but be aware that too much of those breaks the spell of being carried away.

Offline haukmarki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 06:48:07 PM
Hello guys, sorry it took some time for me to reply. I've used some time to listen to my recording, while looking at your feedback. I agree with you that my tempo is perhaps a bit too rubato at some points. When I saw radical.tune's remark on my tempo in bar 133, I must admit I felt a bit blushy. Why? Well, my teacher wrote KEEP TEMPO!!! there. What a coincidence! About my tempo-change in bar 171, it was done in pure inspiration, but now, when I listen to it, I must admit it would be better to keep the tempo up.

Talking of the horse. I don't know if you mean I stumble in the bars radical.tune says I do, but if you do, I agree with you. If not, I want to remind you even a horse can't run in the same speed mile after mile ;)

Metronome? What is that. Hehe, I hate that monster.

Thanks a lot for your feedback guys, I'll add some more recordings later! :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert