Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Choosing the right college or conservatory  (Read 1731 times)

Offline thomas_williams

• PS Silver Member
Choosing the right college or conservatory
on: January 14, 2004, 12:20:57 AM
I am hoping to attend college next fall, majoring in music, but am not sure which to apply to.  Are there any good websites that would be helpful in school selection?  If so, I would like to see them.

Also, if any of you are familiar with any of the schools in Georgia, I would appreciate your input.  One of my options is the State University of West Georgia (in Carrollton), but there are a number of schools with excellent names in music, such as the University of Georgia, Georgia State University, and Shorter College, to name a few.

I am also wondering about conservatories.  Right now I wouldn't be able to meet the audition requirements of, say, Juilliard or Curtis, but I wonder if there are any good ones that I would have a chance of being admitted to.  Just another thought.

Signed,
Thomas
It's GREAT to be a classical musician!

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Re: Choosing the right college or conservatory
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 06:41:00 AM
well what can u play?
rach on!

Offline thomas_williams

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 10:44:34 PM
My repertoire is not very large.  It includes:

J. S. Bach-- Two-part Invention No. 8 in F Major
Mozart-- March in C Major (originally for orchestra, transcibed by the composer)
Brahms-- Sarabande and Gavotte in A Minor
Debussy-- Jimbo's Lullaby from Children's Corner Suite

The above pieces are either performance ready or could be with a little more work.  I am currently working on:

Bach-- Two-part Invention No. 14 in B-flat Major
Beethoven-- Sonata in C Minor, Op. 10 No. 1, first movement
Chopin-- Waltz in E Minor, Op. posthumous (1830?)
Debussy-- Dr. Gradus ad Parnassum from Children's Corner

Other pieces I have worked on some before that I could possibly pick back up include:

Chopin-- Raindrop Prelude
Brahms-- Intermezzo In E Major, Op. 116, No. 6
Liszt-- Hungarian Rhapsodie No. 3 in B-flat
Tchaikovsky-- Romance in F Major, Op. 51, No. 5

So here you have a representation of what I can play.
Thomas

Offline thomas_williams

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 09:38:52 PM
I am hoping to attend college next fall, majoring in music, but am not sure which to apply to.  Are there any good websites that would be helpful in school selection?  If so, I would like to see them.

Also, if any of you are familiar with any of the schools in Georgia, I would appreciate your input.  One of my options is the State University of West Georgia (in Carrollton), but there are a number of schools with excellent names in music...

Just thought I'd bring this back up to see if it would get any more replies,

Thomas
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert