Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Gould's Mozart K.330 sonata  (Read 2658 times)

Offline kghayesh

• PS Silver Member
Gould's Mozart K.330 sonata
on: September 13, 2006, 11:25:11 PM
I listened to Gould's interpretation of the C major Sonata K.330 today. I thought it was quite a strange recording.

First, I expected an ultra fast tempo as what is usually expected from Glenn. But, I was surprised to find a normal tempo like all other recordings. Also, I am sure the instrument performed on is not a conventional modern piano. It is either an old fortepiano or a piano that needs extensive maintenance and tuning.

Just listen to the first movement, Don't u feel he is playing with a very shallow dynamic range?? I look at the score and It is obvious that he takes the score his own way. But, is this acceptable for every pianist?? Can I just play like what I feel disregarding the dynamics written in the score??

I don't know what to say about this recording. I can't say it sucks because Gould's own touch is so obvious throughout the sonata. The style of Gould is so dominant there. However, I can't say this recording is a great one, because simply It is so different from other recordings from this sonata. Gould's interpretation stands apart away from all other interpretations of world-renown pianist.

Download this wierd recording from here
[link removed by admin]

Offline debussy symbolism

• PS Silver Member
Re: Gould's Mozart K.330 sonata
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 06:53:52 AM
Greetings.

Many pianists interpret many works differently. What is suitable for one may not be suitable for another. Look at Gould's Bach interpetations; Amazing. Some may find his Mozart also amazing.

Offline debussy symbolism

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 06:56:40 AM
Some may like his Mozart and some not. I haven't yet listened to so I can't say.

Offline kghayesh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 12:21:27 PM
Some may like his Mozart and some not. I haven't yet listened to so I can't say.

Then, Why don't u listen to it ??

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 05:58:48 PM
Gould recorded this sonata twice.

In 1958 and in the 70ths the one from 58 is 10 minutes longer :o

The sl#w one sounds great, but the fast one is terrible.

Offline acha114

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 08:18:17 PM
I listened to Gould's interpretation of the C major Sonata K.330 today. I thought it was quite a strange recording.

First, I expected an ultra fast tempo as what is usually expected from Glenn. But, I was surprised to find a normal tempo like all other recordings. Also, I am sure the instrument performed on is not a conventional modern piano. It is either an old fortepiano or a piano that needs extensive maintenance and tuning.

Just listen to the first movement, Don't u feel he is playing with a very shallow dynamic range?? I look at the score and It is obvious that he takes the score his own way. But, is this acceptable for every pianist?? Can I just play like what I feel disregarding the dynamics written in the score??

I don't know what to say about this recording. I can't say it sucks because Gould's own touch is so obvious throughout the sonata. The style of Gould is so dominant there. However, I can't say this recording is a great one, because simply It is so different from other recordings from this sonata. Gould's interpretation stands apart away from all other interpretations of world-renown pianist.

Download this wierd recording from here https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=627095BD77582F6B

Well the interpretation is certainly different from others I have heard. In my opinion I don't prefer it myself, and I'm not much a fan of Gould. I think Gould is allowing too much liberty here, something you can't do too much, if at all, with a Mozart piece.

Offline steveie986

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 04:27:32 PM
Gould's earlier Mozart is actually quite good. I think the recording of the 330 that you're referring to is one of his earlier ones. Eccentric, certainly, but there is still a singing quality and real enthusiasm. But the recordings done in the 1970s were allegedly to merely fulfill contractual obligations and also to show "how bad Mozart was." They are nothing more than glorified MIDI files. Basically, his problem with Mozart was that he tried to make it contrapuntal when it wasn't supposed to be. In fact, all of his non-Bach recordings have this "problem." Sometimes the result is astonishing: I really like all of his Brahms, the single Chopin piece he did (sonata no. 3), some of the Beethoven, and the Second Viennese School stuff (which is very similar to Bach). But he had neither the personality or desire to play Mozart the way it's supposed to be played. Music is absolutely malleable to him, and he liked to think of himself as a composer at any rate, so he felt free (or perhaps obligated) to change the music on the page.

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 01:42:16 AM
Gould recorded this sonata twice.

In 1958 and in the 70ths the one from 58 is 10 minutes longer :o

The sl#w one sounds great, but the fast one is terrible.

Yep.

His C Minor Concerto (24) is also phenomenal.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert