Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - Prelude, opus 28 no 10  (Read 4721 times)

Offline gfz87

• PS Silver Member
Chopin - Prelude, opus 28 no 10
on: September 14, 2006, 03:07:43 AM
Well, here is it. Hear it and comment about it. Bye

gian franco

Offline bearzinthehood

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - Prelude, opus 28 no 10
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 06:38:03 AM
Allegro molto?

Offline gfz87

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 03:26:26 PM
Yes, I'm sorry, I made it a little slow... It's just that I play from a few months ago, so I still don't have the fastest fingers  :-[ . Besides the speed, you people think it's ok? Bye

gian franco

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 09:22:48 PM
It' s not yet allegro molto and it's not yet leggiero. But I'm sure you will play that very well after a couple of practice sessions. Be sure to play the correct rhythm. I would suggest some metronome practising. The groups of sixteenth notes consist of a triplet and to normal sixteenths. That means you have to play the first three notes of a group faster than the two last ones. In your recording I don't hear that. Sometimes you play them almost as quintuplets, sometimes you play the last two sixteenths even faster.
hope this helps

Offline gfz87

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 05:36:19 AM
Hi pianowolfi. The first time I played this work, before my teacher ever listened to my performance, I played this piece as you say. I played the first triplet faster than the two sixteenth notes (as it should be done, respecting tempo). After my teacher heard me, he told me, that this piece, no matter what if the sheet has triplets and then normal notes, that it should be played as you say I play, as quintuplets. He said that the sheet is keeped that way for respect to Chopin him self, but that if I hear any pro performance, I would here it as quintuplets. So well, now I how a doubt again  ;D. However, I will work on the leggiero more, couse I really think it would bring more emotion to the sound. Thank you for your post. Bye

gian franco

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 08:01:05 PM
He said that the sheet is keeped that way for respect to Chopin him self, but that if I hear any pro performance, I would here it as quintuplets. So well, now I how a doubt again  ;D.

Yeah I noticed on most recordings that you can't hear this rhythmical structure. Because a lot of them are too fast I think. The speed should allow you to bring out this rhythm. And I don't believe that Chopin meant to play quintuplets. He would have written them. I had the luck to have a few lessons with Konstantin Scherbakov. And in cases like this he always left no doubt: you have to play it as it's written even if 90 percent of all pianists play it differently.  :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert