Piano Forum

The ABRSM 2025 & 2026 – Expanding the Musical Horizon
The highly anticipated biennial releases of the ABRSM’s new syllabus publications are a significant event in the world of piano education, regardless of whether one chooses to participate in or teach the graded exams. Read more >>

Topic: Trills in Mozart's K.265 Variations "Ah vous dirai-je maman"  (Read 15226 times)

Offline guermantes

• PS Silver Member
Hi there !

I'm beginning to work on K.265 and would like to know if someone could tell me how to interpret the trills in Var. XII. They are all in the right hand. The end to each trill is written out (two thirty-second notes). How many notes for the body of the trill and do you start on the printed note or on the note above ?
Any help gratefully received !
Thanks in advance
Béryl

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Trills in Mozart's K.265 Variations "Ah vous dirai-je maman"
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 12:43:27 AM
there were many contemporaries of mozart that spoke of trills.  try quantz (the floutist).  he explains how they were done in mozart's time.  i think there's another thread recently discussing trilling somewhere around here.  www.oldflutes.com  ?  scroll down to 'the trill in the classical period.'

i am sort of haphazard.  if some trills sound good as a simple three note trill, i make it that.  but, if a long trill - as with the variations - probably working it all out is good.  listen to some cd's of it.  murrah perahia!

Offline guermantes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 01:50:31 PM
Thank you pianistimo ! I've had a long look at the internet site you mentioned. There's certainly a lot of food for thought there. I've listened to 2 recordings of the theme and variations that I found on the Naxos website : Nicolesi and Szokolay. I will try to find Murray Perahia's version.

Thanks again !

Offline gavin_rossdale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 07:32:51 AM
I love this piece. Most of us would know that It has a main theme which is when you heard, sounds easy, but when the variation of the theme already comes, its pretty hard.

Offline asiantraveller101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 09:43:15 PM
I have heard many renditions of the piece. Some start on the written note, and some start on the upper note. Personally, I think it should be upper note, in correspondence to the Baroque and early Classical style. Anyway, either works, so long as you are consistent and convincing.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert