Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: How do you memorize?  (Read 3284 times)

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
How do you memorize?
on: January 19, 2004, 01:58:44 AM
Do most people memorize the order of the notes of a piece like "next comes that C major chord, or e-f-a-c-g-d-c"? Or do they just get to where they don't think about it? I've never memorized the order of notes or the score, I just memorize the piece somehow. I was just wondering.

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline Rach3

• PS Silver Member
Re: How do you memorize?
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 06:44:12 AM
I don't think of the notes or the sounds or the chords as much as what the music IS, which I suppose subconciously is a mixture of pretty much everything along with an understanding of the music itself. Notes are only a representation of what is to be memorized.

Scriptus solus imago cujus discendum est. (sorry, couldn't resist)
"Never look at the trombones, it only encourages them."
--Richard Wagner

Offline GG

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 08:20:29 AM
Bernhard, thank you so much for your link. Nicely written.

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 01:21:10 PM
You are welcome. :)
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 05:16:56 PM
I memorize the patterns, chord progressions, and anything that stands out.

boliver

Offline GraceStansbury

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 08:11:35 AM
just like boliver, patterns, chords and little tweeks that catch my attention
Next to silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible is music.

Offline jeff

Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 08:26:12 AM
i've found that concentrating on the physical sensation of the contact between my fingers and the keys (rather than the movements made by my fingers/hands/arms to play) helps aid my memory, and perhaps also helps sort out some technical problems.
i guess the reason it seems to help my memory could just be because it focusses my attention better, and maybe helps me relax
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert