Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Etude 10/1  (Read 2527 times)

Offline doxy

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Etude 10/1
on: September 28, 2006, 04:51:32 PM
Dear Friends and colleagues,

I am pleased to invite you to hear some of my recordings, beginning with this great work.

Best wishes,
www.doriangriner.com

Offline med80199

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Etude op. 10 no. 1.....
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 05:53:12 PM
Hi Dorian, rather excellent playing! I am an amateur pianist who have been practising the same piece. But I am still plagued with numerous wrong notes. Please have a look at my videos on
https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=med80199piano
and kindly leave your comments on how I can improve both my technique and musicality. Thanks.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 06:07:09 PM
  Sounds a lot like Ashkenazy, you should make a video. well done it is so much better than your other youtube video you made. ;)
  Funy i was looking for the Ashkenazy vid of this etude on your tube ,but it has mysteriously disappeared.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline doxy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 02:08:41 PM
  Sounds a lot like Ashkenazy, you should make a video. well done it is so much better than your other youtube video you made. ;)
  Funy i was looking for the Ashkenazy vid of this etude on your tube ,but it has mysteriously disappeared.

Well, one should compare my rec with Ashkenazy` s and  notice that it is certainly not an identical recording, rather then being malicious, as it is with most people who don` t like when someone plays on a higher level.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 03:03:18 PM
Well, one should compare my rec with Ashkenazy` s and  notice that it is certainly not an identical recording, rather then being malicious, as it is with most people who don` t like when someone plays on a higher level.

Was not trying to malicious, i just found your brevious recordings including your recent recordings to be good, but this particular recording of Chopins etude 10/1 to be far better than all your other recordings, no need to turn your nose up to me.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 11:42:01 AM

hello?

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Etude 10/1
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 08:31:28 PM
this is my favorite of all the recordings i've heard.  amazing fingers!  there was one little spot in the beginning that 'jumped out at me' - or made itself noticable - but everything else seemed very smooth and transistory.  wow.  amazing playing!

if we could play like you - i can assure you - we wouldn't be posting here.  (of course, we'd be out playing).  although, there are a very few people like you here.

now, why was this piano in better tune?  you, mr. dorian griner, need a piano tuner to follow along and make sure that the piano is JUST the way you like it.  and, don't agree anymore to play on just any old piano.  you are far too nice and humble.  it's time to become lean and mean.  but, from your picture - you look like a very nice guy.

ps i hope you also have the tuner tune during intermission.  it makes the second half so GREAT!

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 12:48:56 AM
Very cleanly played and controlled, good stuff.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 01:56:10 AM
Sounds really nice!  I've been working on this piece and can play it well at a pretty good speed, but I'm at a small barrier when it comes to minor slip-ups. I love this piece - it's really fun to play and becomes significantly less difficult once one has it comfortably memorized.

One thing I might suggest is beefing up the bass in a few spots. Around the second page (Mikuli edition - Urtext is on the way), when the left plays A,-B-A-G#, A-G-F,  I think you could bring out more of the melody, since it mostly resides in the bass octaves. 

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 05:04:34 PM
Gosh, thatīs outstanding playing. One of the best I have heard! thanks for sharing thios wonderfull performance! ;D

Offline doxy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 03:32:23 PM
Gosh, thatīs outstanding playing. One of the best I have heard! thanks for sharing thios wonderfull performance! ;D

Thanks for your kind comments, glad you liked it.

Doxy
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert