Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Can anyone tell me more about these pianists?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Jemmers

• PS Silver Member
Can anyone tell me more about these pianists?
on: January 22, 2004, 01:36:36 PM
Has anyone heard these pianists live? Idil Biret, Ronald Smith, Gyorgy Sandor, Paul Badura-Skoda.

Here in singapore we don't often get many pianists of any great fame or stature arriving, but I just read a little about these people and they seem to have some degree of pedigree. For example Gyorgy Sandor being a student of Bartok. Anyway, they're coming in July, and I really want to know whether to get front-row seats or cheap back-row tickets.

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Re: Can anyone tell me more about these pianists?
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 01:41:05 PM
everything i've heard of birets was terrible
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 04:51:41 PM
Ronald Smith is a "local lad" to me - and interestingly taught Freddy Kempf. He began the Alkan revival in the UK (after Lewenthal had done so abroad), but is generally not considered to be anywhere near as good as Lewenthal or Hamelin in this repertoire. Sandor is extremely good, but I have only heard Biret on CD,
Ed

Offline Jemmers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 05:22:01 PM
Ahhh DARN! I was thinking of watching Biret... cos of his more Romantic repertoire. But now, someone says Biret's not too good, and Sandor is awesome. I think I'm going to flip a coin or something.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 08:43:04 PM
Firstly, Idil Biret is a woman. Secondly, I have been impressed with her recordings and her repertoire is incredibly expansive so in theory she must be doing something right,
Ed

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 11:01:39 PM
Gyorgy Sandor is awesome. But he must be in his nineties now! I am amazed he is still concertizing.

Paul Badura-Skoda is a must see. He is an expert in historically authentic performances (he has written books on both Bach's and Mozart's performance), and most likely he will be playing a fortepiano (he collects them) not necessarily tuned to equal temperament (it will depend on his program). A few years back he got badly bruised, by authenticating a number of "lost" Haydn sonatas, which turned out to be a hoax.

I second Ed on Idil Biret, although I have never seen her live (or Ronald Smith).
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert