Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Choosing what to teach  (Read 2533 times)

Offline kateb

• PS Silver Member
Choosing what to teach
on: August 01, 2002, 12:37:58 AM
I have students who love jazz and hate classical.

I have students who love classical and hate jazz.

Is there any reason I should "make" both play both? And while we're at it, is there any reason I should make them work their way through the method series? Why not focus on incorporating skills covered in methods in music that hasn't been written solely for the purpose of teaching. Students don't grab on to these songs the way they do the Jazz or Classical. It doesn't create an interest, and interest is what I'm aiming for.  Interest=practice time=progress. And I think I would much rather have them work on adapted versions of music they will hear and recognize again in their life time than "Little Joey was on a Boat."

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Offline pianoannie

• PS Silver Member
Re: Choosing what to teach
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2002, 02:43:06 PM
Are the students you're referring to still fairly elementary? I'm assuming so since you asked about method books (and I move out of specific method books after elementary, level 3 or so).  I think a student who has only been playing for 2-3 years should not be allowed to choose "only jazz" or "only classical."  They are too young and musically inexperienced to know for certain that they completely "hate" a particular style of music.  I try exposing my students to my favorites in various styles, with great success.  For example, in jazz style, I've never had a student who didn't love In the Mood, Linus and Lucy, Pink Panther, as well as pieces in Martha Mier's Jazz, Rags, and Blues books.  For classical type pieces, students love playing In the Hall of the Mountain King, Pachelbel's Canon, Bach Minuet in G, and numerous others.  There are just too many great classical pieces out there to allow a student to declare that he hates them all (and I'm using the word "classical" in the layman's broad sense of the word; I mean Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Contemporary).
Regarding method books, I like the flow and "security"of using a specific series, building concept upon concept in a very organized fashion.  If you aren't happy with the pieces in the method books you're using, perhaps it's just time to try a new series.  I absolutely love the pieces in Faber's Piano Adventure series (I use the lesson, technique, theory, and supplementary books--all are terrific!) and also in Hal Leonard Student Piano Library.  Hal Leonard's accompaniment CD's are particularly impressive, and my students love them.
Through the years I've also developed quite a list of other favorite supplemental books.  I'm just amazed at how much truly fantastic music is available for students.  

Offline pianodeanne

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2002, 03:43:30 AM
I have come to learn that each student is different in their own unique way.  That is why I use different methods for different students.  I usually start out with one, then as they progress, I'll introduce something new, and see how they like it.   Usually, the method they were first started on is the "main" lesson book, with the others used as supplement.  I try to make sure to include the Dozen a Day and scales for technique.  then we'll do the lesson book and then something "fun", that either I or they have picked.  One girl brought a book from home on movie theme songs that we use last at the lesson.  This keeps it fun.  Today, I even taught a 15-yr old student a little "Lincoln Park" tune!  ...Just to keep 'em interested.
Praise, praise, praise!!!

Offline princess

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2003, 12:21:10 PM
jazz or classical, method/technique is the most important thing...to me, anyways.  for jazz, improv depends on knowledge of chords/scales (hope this works: https://saxontheweb.myforums.net/viewforum.php?f=24   )
i've played a few jazz pieces on keyboard for band last year (and hated jazz) and knowledge of chords is very important to make jazz sound good.

classical, definately need technique....scale runs, rhythms...fugues/preludes....that sorta good stuff, right?

in either case, you shouldn't "make" the student learn both if they hate one type, right? just put yourself in the student's point of view...would you like to learn jazz if you hated it like hell? i know i wouldn't.  teach them what they want to learn after the methods are over with (or while learning the methods).
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert