Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Practicality or morality.  (Read 3329 times)

Offline debussy symbolism

• PS Silver Member
Practicality or morality.
on: October 18, 2006, 12:11:08 AM
Greetings.

As this question is primarily directed to Nils, others might still want to consider the thought of being in the same situation as Nils, and having to have to react in such a manner as stated below.

Lets assume that an equal amount of Gold and Silver Membership members are candidates for banning. Which "group" would you ban first? Please be honest if that is possible.

Offline jpianoflorida

• PS Silver Member
Re: Practicality or morality.
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 12:29:30 AM
Greetings.

As this question is primarily directed to Nils, others might still want to consider the thought of being in the same situation as Nils, and having to have to react in such a manner as stated below.

Lets assume that an equal amount of Gold and Silver Membership members are candidates for banning. Which "group" would you ban first? Please be honest if that is possible.

no offense to you at all debussy...but why do you always want to irritate or pic on nils? just curious? it seems you have some problem with him and I would just like to know what that is.   

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 01:00:09 AM
Actually Nils was the first one to insinuate that I should start another thread. Second of all, I think that this is important, as Nils is the only one here with a power to ban and otherwise censor posts and members, that we get a non discriminatory treatment. Gold members pay 3 dollars, and help support the forum. Silver membership doesn't do that, so Nis might not hesitate to censor their content.

I will admit, I do have some minor grudge against Nils in that he secretely band threads without letting the forum know. That is it.

Hope this answered your questions.

Offline leucippus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 01:42:21 AM
Well, if I were Nils I'd just ban you and then I wouldn't be bothered by the question anymore.  ;D

In all seriousness, if I were a moderator of a forum I wouldn't even consider whether a person was a paying member or not if I had a reason to ban them.   And on many sites questioning the actions and motivations of a mod is sufficient reason for banning someone anyway. 

So, I guess you aren't enjoying this site.  That's all I can think of.

Offline jpianoflorida

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 01:47:08 AM
so why would someone be banned?

Offline jas

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 08:54:14 AM
no offense to you at all debussy...but why do you always want to irritate or pic on nils? just curious? it seems you have some problem with him and I would just like to know what that is.
Hmmm, 'tis true. The poor bloke always seems to be having to defend himself against something you're accusing him of, DS. :) Don't think I'd want to be here much either, if I were him...

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 09:03:31 AM
Actually Nils was the first one to insinuate that I should start another thread.

Yes, but if you had bothered to read the two lines below this advice you should have seen that I was kind enough to reply to your question directly in that post:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,21252.msg233995.html#msg233995

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 01:02:17 PM
why does this thread have the title practicality or morality.  are these possible reasons for being banned?  why?

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 02:34:29 PM
why does this thread have the title practicality or morality.  are these possible reasons for being banned?  why?

An even better question - Why is Debussy not yet banned?

Offline jpianoflorida

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 02:50:07 PM
well debussy may question a lot and may try to irritate nils but I think he deserves to speak his mind on here like the rest of us....unless it gets to the point he is actually harassing someone...I talked with him in the chat room a while last night, and it changed my opinion of him...he actually is a very deep , smart individual--once again, we realize we have to really get to know more about people to understand where they are coming from....and posts, as well as email can often come acrross unlike the way we meant it.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 06:46:54 PM
Before passing out any sort of judgement on my posts, I think it is wise to know the reason behind my posting. My only concern is just how covert Nils can be when censoring material. I am in no way trying to irritate Nils, or for that matter, anyone on this or anyother forum, but I just think that some of the ways that Nils handles content is "immoral," should we call it that. To point out such immorality would be to point out an example. I am very well aware of many threads in which I conversed with some one. The threads have been banned for whatever reason(I know which ones). All I object to is the secrecy behind the banning. How would we know if Nils isn't secretely censors text from an average post, guided only by his means and fantasy, mischevous or not.

This is my point.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 08:40:37 PM
He owns the place and therefore can do what he wants.

Innit

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 10:41:49 PM
Debussy- for real. You can be a lot of fun and add some personality to this forum, but you need to cut out challenging the authority all the time.

This is a private forum. Nils owns it. Therefore nils has the right and the authority to make the rules and enforce them.

You, minion, have no say. ;)

It's like going to a friend's house whose dad is there. Obviously you're going to respect the father and play by the rules of the house. Doesn't mean you can't have fun, just means you have to be respectful and appreciative of the fact that you're allowed to be there in the first place.

Now stop acting like an immature little peepsqueek. ;)

[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 10:44:38 PM
Now stop acting like an immature little peepsqueek. ;)

And cut out the verbosity - get to the point! (To Debussy)

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 11:32:06 PM
debussy, have you forgotten that this question has already been discussed in a few other topics? For example: https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,20478.0.html
I am afraid I do not have much more to add.

...To point out such immorality would be to point out an example. I am very well aware of many threads in which I conversed with some one. The threads have been banned for whatever reason(I know which ones). All I object to is the secrecy behind the banning. How would we know if Nils isn't secretely censors text from an average post, guided only by his means and fantasy, mischevous or not.

Maybe this info can help you getting less worried and give you a better idea about how the decisions about deletion of problematic topics are made.
The topics in your example above are deleted for the following reasons:

"i'm sorrryyy"
Topic started in the repertoire section just to apologize for posting another topic twice. Only one reply (a short comment by debussy symbolism).
Topic deleted together with the duplicate topic since the apology did consequently not make sense any more.

"More Gold Privilages!!!- More stuff"
Relevant question but only two substantial replies (debussy symbolism bashing the gold membership).
Apart from that mostly discussions and links to illegal sheet music sites. The topic was live for over a month but was eventually deleted in its entirety because of the illegal material and since debussy symbolism had already presented exactly the same view in the topic "Gold membership, a rip off?" https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,19647.0.html

"da SDC sucks"
A few substantial replies but mainly (non offensive) da sdc slang.
Topic deleted because of a number of extremely tasteless comments that we under no circumstances can keep on a website such as Piano Street.
Since the offensive material was spread and quoted over the topic it could possibly not have been cleaned up without loosing its point. The topic was neither relevant with regards to the purposes of Piano Street.

"paino is for homos!"
Totally useless topic with no relevant replies.

"Hitler Octaves"
"Bite of more than you can chew"
"subject: brabbit square"
"Ludwig Van Beethoven"
"pianismo"
"you ignoramous"
"english major"

Extremely weird topics started by one singe member.
debussy symbolism tried to reply to them seriously while most other posters was asking for getting the topic starter warned or banned.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 01:27:11 AM
Thats what I wanted to see. Thank you for admitting to your banning of the certain threads and also providing a reson for banning. To not seriously "annoy" the members I will withold my further doubt of Nils because I am content with his actions and he has given me proof.

I am sorry if I may seem to "spoil the mood" on this forum by questioning Nils, but I have a right to know what goes on here and how it may affect what I say.

Thank you.

Offline maul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 02:59:37 AM
Nils is the most logical and mature forum administrator I've ever witnessed. I can see why debussy has a problem with him as debussy has exactly the opposite of the mentioned qualities.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006, 03:22:03 AM
Nils is the most logical and mature forum administrator I've ever witnessed. I can see why debussy has a problem with him as debussy has exactly the opposite of the mentioned qualities.

With all due respect, I would have gladly not cared to post to such an insouciant and misinformed remark, but given that I am in a certain mood applicable for responding to you, I will say the following:

Don't get me started again Maul. If you want to continue further, please do. I do not care whether I should answer to you or not.

Best.

Offline maul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 03:42:33 AM
You have never started.

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 01:17:58 PM
I am sorry if I may seem to "spoil the mood" on this forum by questioning Nils, but I have a right to know what goes on here and how it may affect what I say.
To prevent further misunderstandings, do you understand and accept that you do not actually have that right?
However, you are still welcome to ask whichever questions you have regarding the administration and moderation of Piano Street and I will do my best to reply to them.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 05:53:38 AM
Technically speaking I do have a right. I do not have control over the consequence though.

Offline jpianoflorida

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 12:01:39 PM
come on debussy! let it go!

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: November 01, 2006, 02:06:21 PM
Is Nils any cute? Anyone knows?

Debussy, I like you, partner, so let me answer ( Quasimoto is gone, so I'm extra talkative today). You have the right to ask and Nils has a right to ignore you. He is the boss.

Hate to upset Nils by sticking my potato nose into his business, but I'm suspecting this forum mostly supported by ads, not memberships. Although memeberships are nice too.

I fire my paying students who gives me headache. I do not see why Nils can't ban us all ( well, some. Otherwise who would be looking at those ads? ). We are all weird and deserve it. I just want to know that his's cute, that's all. That way it's easier to take a blow.

In either case it is not easy to be fair even without money being involved. Peace ya all. Keep it real, please. It's silly to act overly sensitive on the Internet.

Nils can spell. Nils uses punctuation. Nils posts always looks nice. I'd say we keep him.
He did e-mail me a warning the other day and I must say it was the nicest looking post I've seen on this site. It was a pleasure to read. Really.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: November 01, 2006, 11:58:12 PM
Thanks for your reply Ingragroznaya :D

I am of course in no way upset or angry at Nils because simply, there is no reason for me to reproach him in anyway, even if he does delete posts at random.

You have no idea how right you are about this site being advertised not through the forum members. I many issues of "Klavier" magazine, guess what I find? On many pages I see "PianoStreet" and information about a large quantity of sheet music, and guess what? I haven't even seen a mention of the forum or its members. Ironic?

Offline jpianoflorida

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 12:01:45 AM
debussy...what's going on?  long time no talk.......are you behaving?   ready for another debate in the chatroom? it's been  a  while...jay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: November 02, 2006, 12:10:16 AM
Ha ha. I am around, somewhat. There is nothing on this forum but some usual languid and often times vague talk. I am around though so will post, likely.

Good to see you and do wish to talk to you more, debate or no debate, doesn't matter to me. All is good. I do have to practice now though. ;D

Best wishes.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: November 02, 2006, 09:59:08 AM
This may be seen to be a little off-topic, but some of what I have read in this thread has nevertheless prompted me to wonder how long it would take some people to develop the patience and conscientiousness that Nils has displayed here.

For what it may or may not be worth, I think that forum members may indeed have a "right" to "question" Nils on certain matters, provided that this is done in a polite and constructive manner, but this does not mean that they have a "right" to accuse; in any event, legitimate qusetions and their answers should have to precede any "accusation" and, in turn, any "accusation" - if one is ever necessary - would better be enshrined in a PM, followed - if an impasse is then reached and if need be - by the resignation of the accuser. This way, no one is likely to be banned from the forum for this kind of activity. No one wants persistent malcontents on this forum; apart from any other considerations, their gripes and grouses tend to interfere with the smooth progress of the real business of forum discussion.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #27 on: November 02, 2006, 10:55:15 AM
Thanks , Alistar for your very relevant commnents.

debussy_symbolism, can you PLEASE stop posting misleading information here?
Your knowledge about how Piano Street is managed is likely to be far more limited than for example mine and if you have reasons to believe we are managing Piano Street in a bad or wrong way please raise those issues as QUESTIONS and I will do my best to explain our aims and actions.

You have no idea how right you are about this site being advertised not through the forum members. I many issues of "Klavier" magazine, guess what I find? On many pages I see "PianoStreet" and information about a large quantity of sheet music, and guess what? I haven't even seen a mention of the forum or its members. Ironic?

You have apparently no idea about how wrong you are.
The only thing that is "ironic" here is that your are picking up this issue even if your own experience with it is exstremely limited. You have only seen a tiny part of our advertisments.
We have had a considerable amount of ads in magzines of which the vast majority is promoting the sheet music library, the forum and the chat in an equivalent way.

I am of course in no way upset or angry at Nils because simply, there is no reason for me to reproach him in anyway, even if he does delete posts at random.

I do not delete posts at random.
I may remember incorrectly, but I thought we had discussed this alreay.

Hate to upset Nils by sticking my potato nose into his business, but I'm suspecting this forum mostly supported by ads, not memberships. Although memeberships are nice too.

Actually, it is the complete opposite.
What mainly supports the running and development of Piano Street is the support from our valued Gold members. Only a tiny fraction is from the ads.

Offline jpianoflorida

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: November 02, 2006, 12:21:01 PM
You know there is a pretty simple answer to complainers, If you don't like the rules, don't play the game!   So if you don't like pianostreet why not just use another chat site like aol, yahoo, etc, etc.      I think this site is great and I have no reason to question why something is removed or not...it's a website: it's not my school, or church or other social group that I personally/physically go to and interact with people I have personally met, etc...... so Thanks Nils for just giving us the chance to use the website.

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: November 02, 2006, 02:14:14 PM
I think this site is great and I have no reason to question why something is removed or not...it's a website: it's not my school, or church or other social group that I personally/physically go to and interact with people I have personally met, etc......

Oh, JP, you can be so... pregnant cat something... sweet!  What a duality! You threatening to "influence" my "departure" on Teaching forum and here you just such a Sugar. Tone it down a bit at least, please. It's sound conflicting.

I would not die if I'll be banned, but I must say I am impressed by the fact that Nils is even bothering him self with explanations , as bitter/sweet we all are.
I feel a bit of a conflict is healthy. I guess  as long as it's addressed.

I'm also feeling slightly guilty now for not paying for a membership. You say quality of the score is good? Compare to free sites? Compare to what exactly? I do not know if I'm ready...We do not know how cute you are.

Offline jpianoflorida

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: November 02, 2006, 02:27:36 PM
Oh, JP, you can be so... pregnant cat something... sweet! You threatening to "influence" my "departure" on Teaching forum and here you just such a Sugar. Tone it down a bit, please. It's sound conflicting.

I would not die if I'll be banned, but I must say I am impressed by the fact that Nils is even bothering his self with explanations , as bitter/sweet we all are.
I feel a bit of a conflict is healthy. I guess  as long as it's addressed.

I'm also feeling slightly guilty now for not paying for a membership. You say quality of the score is good? Compare to free sites? Compare to what exactly?

"threatening to influence your departure"?  would you please tell me if we are in the same world and exactly what the heck you are talking about? you make no sense whatsoever!   Are you trying to make everyone think I've done something to you so you they will feel sorry for you?? please tell me what your game is? you have me totally confused!

Offline jpianoflorida

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: November 02, 2006, 02:32:36 PM
I have a deal for you Ingagroz....    Don't respond to anything I post, I won't respond to you at all and the forum will go on!  what do you say? Because it makes no difference what I post, you WILL find some way to put it down or criticize......again, I'm not sure why--maybe you put all the names in a hat and drew out the one forum member you wanted to harass?   anyway, this is my last response to you --i'm not wasting anymore time dealing with you.   There are too many great forum members who actually want to spend time in a positive manner discussing things that will benefit us and not just cause people to get into arguments.

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: November 02, 2006, 02:43:12 PM
Leave me out of it, JP. Find someone in your church or school to fight with. Religion is not my weak spot. I am old fashion soviet atheist and have nothing to say on the subject. Mercy. 8)

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: November 02, 2006, 02:47:37 PM
That's what I mean by the duality. You say one thing and then erase it and replace it with another, so my response now look like am I arguing with you. Jesus! Bad taste.

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 02:49:58 PM
Don't respond to anything I post, I won't respond to you at all and the forum will go on!  what do you say?

I'd say this forum will go on without you or me in it.
Uhh, morality.

Offline jpianoflorida

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: November 02, 2006, 02:51:21 PM
the weather is great in florida! how's everyone else?   I'm changing the subject as you can see!      It's a great day!       Is everyone having a great day?     I had to go to the dentist yesterday, now that the pain is almost gone, I feel great!  Wishing everyone a terrific day!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: November 03, 2006, 12:51:19 AM
Thanks , Alistar for your very relevant commnents.

debussy_symbolism, can you PLEASE stop posting misleading information here?
Your knowledge about how Piano Street is managed is likely to be far more limited than for example mine and if you have reasons to believe we are managing Piano Street in a bad or wrong way please raise those issues as QUESTIONS and I will do my best to explain our aims and actions.

You have apparently no idea about how wrong you are.
The only thing that is "ironic" here is that your are picking up this issue even if your own experience with it is exstremely limited. You have only seen a tiny part of our advertisments.
We have had a considerable amount of ads in magzines of which the vast majority is promoting the sheet music library, the forum and the chat in an equivalent way.

I do not delete posts at random.
I may remember incorrectly, but I thought we had discussed this alreay.

Actually, it is the complete opposite.
What mainly supports the running and development of Piano Street is the support from our valued Gold members. Only a tiny fraction is from the ads.

No Nils, I have seen alot of advertisements of Piano street, and have yet to see it advertise the forum. I am not saying that it doesn't, I am saying that from what I have observed, I did not see a mention of the forum. In no way do I insist that this site isn't in any way advertised by it's forum or forum members.

I may post misleading information, but do not do so on purpose of misleading. Should I post misleading information, it is because either I do not know enough about the topic, or post information in accordance to my observations, as done so previously in this thread, that was also by the way labeled by you as "misleading".

Again, I do not disagree with you for stating that the forum is part of advertisement of the site, I am just stating that what I observed.

I know you don't delete posts at random. Would be a shame if you did.

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: November 11, 2006, 09:12:47 PM
will you guys actually stop arguing with each other and fighting and get on with profitable discussion! And If I could raise a point Nils some of us find 'Jesus' and 'God!' when used in a clearly swearing context offensive. Thats not to appear prudish. Im aware one cannot impose restrictions on such things but if people were to be using *** words left right and center you can imagine how many people might sign up. To therefore allow unchecked usage of religious terms as swear words could compromise your demographic on the forum.  I have to say I appreciate the no-holds barred nature of the forum  but when people swear or blaspheme I think its very often unnecessary. I understand in speach it's difficult sometimes maybe to check oneself and theings pop out before you can control them but of course when we type that isnt the case.  That isnt a formal complaint just an observation/concern.

Offline maul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: November 12, 2006, 06:19:30 AM
"Profitable" discussion eh? That'd be nice...

Offline adagio1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: November 12, 2006, 07:01:34 PM
It is an empty can that makes the most noise.  Now let us see.  Who makes the most noise around here?  Hmmmm.

Offline ihatepop

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: December 02, 2006, 01:22:00 PM
I think gold members have an equal chance of being banned from the forum if they broke the rules, but will still have acess to the sheet music.

Thats fair, so no one loses out. (exept for the rule breaker, who can no longer post.)

ihatepop

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: December 14, 2006, 01:38:52 AM
Maul - the only way to have profitable discussion is to engage.

Why is it that the people who moan most about content say the least in the sensible pianistic discussions. Get out of the anything but piano room and into the world of the pianostreet. Go discuss piano!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert