Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven 32 Variations  (Read 10487 times)

Offline sissco

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven 32 Variations
on: October 24, 2006, 07:22:32 PM
This is a great piece to learn, and it is defenitely on my list. Can someone tell me a bit more about the difficulties, which variations are the most difficult etc. I think it is pretty playable or am I wrong? Thanks!

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven 32 Variations
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 08:14:41 PM
Wow, it's one of my favourite Beethoven piano works.

But don't underrate the difficulties!
Don't look at it, as if it were Czerny Variations!!!  :D

All you see in the notated music seems quite "normal": broken chords, scales, trills etc
But first, we have an extreme tempo (in spite of the Allegretto marking of the theme), every single note has to be played totally clear, great parts have to be played piano or pianissimo (the forte/fortissimo parts are much easier to play). The last Variations XXXI/XXXII are horrible for the left hand.
You have  to totally change the musical expression every 8 bars while keeping the ongoing pace through the whole work. It's a sort of "march to the holy land".

This work is really challenging!!!

If it doesn't work - try something different!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert