Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: fingering problems! please help!  (Read 3773 times)

Offline falling4ever3

• PS Silver Member
fingering problems! please help!
on: January 30, 2004, 04:01:33 AM
Recently while in choir we had freetime, me and some of the other students started playing the piano. I played Bettoveen's (sp, sry :()5th, and my choir teacher who plays the piano very well asked me if I took lessons, and I said no. She said she could kind of tell because my fingering was bad. How can I learn proper fingering with out a teacher? Is there any good websites? Please help! I'm still a beginner (the most complicated piece I know is Menuet by Boccherini) but I'm afraid that my poor fingering might result in problems and bad habits later. I would appreaciated any advice you have on this subject, thanks  :)

- falling4ever3@sbcglobal.net

Offline falling4ever3

• PS Silver Member
Re: fingering problems! please help!
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 04:15:27 AM
Also, I have been playing the piano for about 6 months, and the most complicated piece I know is Menuett by Boccerini, is that fair progress? Should I be playing better by now? Thanks again,
Luigi Boccherini:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles

Offline pianoville

Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:54:52 PM
Are you playing with teacher?
"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline michael_c

Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 07:50:57 AM
Good fingering comes from an understanding of the basic principles of piano playing: joint alignment, efficient use of muscles and arm weight, when to use forearm rotation... The best way to learn these principles is (surprise, surprise!) from a good teacher.

If you're serious about not wanting to learn bad habits, find yourself a teacher. In the meantime, what books are you using?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert