Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: fingering problems! please help!  (Read 3772 times)

Offline falling4ever3

• PS Silver Member
fingering problems! please help!
on: January 30, 2004, 04:01:33 AM
Recently while in choir we had freetime, me and some of the other students started playing the piano. I played Bettoveen's (sp, sry :()5th, and my choir teacher who plays the piano very well asked me if I took lessons, and I said no. She said she could kind of tell because my fingering was bad. How can I learn proper fingering with out a teacher? Is there any good websites? Please help! I'm still a beginner (the most complicated piece I know is Menuet by Boccherini) but I'm afraid that my poor fingering might result in problems and bad habits later. I would appreaciated any advice you have on this subject, thanks  :)

- falling4ever3@sbcglobal.net

Offline falling4ever3

• PS Silver Member
Re: fingering problems! please help!
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 04:15:27 AM
Also, I have been playing the piano for about 6 months, and the most complicated piece I know is Menuett by Boccerini, is that fair progress? Should I be playing better by now? Thanks again,
Luigi Boccherini:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles

Offline pianoville

Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:54:52 PM
Are you playing with teacher?
"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline michael_c

Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 07:50:57 AM
Good fingering comes from an understanding of the basic principles of piano playing: joint alignment, efficient use of muscles and arm weight, when to use forearm rotation... The best way to learn these principles is (surprise, surprise!) from a good teacher.

If you're serious about not wanting to learn bad habits, find yourself a teacher. In the meantime, what books are you using?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert