Piano Forum logo
November 17, 2017, 05:24:05 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

The Trusted Magician of the Parisian Avantgarde

Marcelle Meyer (1897-1958) was a major figure in the creation of new music from her participation in Erik Satie’s Parade in 1917 until her early death in 1958. She championed the works of Satie, Ravel, Debussy and Stravinsky, as well as the French Group of Six composers (Les Six), all of whom she knew personally. Her fluid phrasing, great dynamic range and lovely tone are just three of the hallmarks of her rare and individual playing. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Horowitz Liszt Sonata  (Read 2220 times)
dave santino
PS Silver Member

« on: November 11, 2006, 11:08:23 PM »

Just heard this, and it's completely floored me and risen straight to the top of my list of best performances. The power, passion and subtlety of this interpretation are stunning, I don't know if it's just me, but after listening to this, it's like listening to the piece for the first time again. It's made me totally re-evaluate how I'll approach the piece. Just had to say something, sorry if it's a bit inane.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

"My advice to aspiring musicians? Wear sunblock and use a condom!" - Steve Vai

piano sheet music of Sonata
arensky
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 11:16:14 PM »

Just heard this, and it's completely floored me and risen straight to the top of my list of best performances. The power, passion and subtlety of this interpretation are stunning, I don't know if it's just me, but after listening to this, it's like listening to the piece for the first time again. It's made me totally re-evaluate how I'll approach the piece. Just had to say something, sorry if it's a bit inane.

Which one? 1932 or 1977?

=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller
jakev2.0
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 12:01:35 AM »

The Horowitz recording from '32 is my favorite of the B Minor Sonata. (I also love Barere's 1947 performance from Carnegie Hall for it's sheer insanity)
dave santino
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 12:07:09 AM »

1977 based on the clarity of the recording. I've not heard the '32, I'd love to though. His earlier recordings are not as readily available as the later ones, but I was lucky enough to find the 1930 Rach 3 with Albert Coates and the LSO- wow. Sheer mastery. If anyone's got the '32 sonata I'd be tremendously grateful if you could post it. Thanx in advance.

jakev2.0
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 12:21:23 AM »

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=72C3465853709657
dave santino
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 10:41:50 AM »

Awesome, thanx very much.

dnephi
PS Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 04:20:47 PM »

Where did you get this?  Thanks.

For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)
mephisto
PS Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 05:12:22 PM »

Probably here I guess;

http://www.amazon.com/Liszt-Piano-Sonata-minor-Funérailles/dp/B000A2H7QI/sr=8-3/qid=1163437882/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/102-8681066-4422520?ie=UTF8&s=music
donjuan
PS Gold Member

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 09:26:41 PM »

not insane.  horowitz did that to me as well with his recording of the sonata, as well as with his Mephisto Waltz recording.
thierry13
PS Silver Member

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 03:00:28 AM »

Is that the 32 or the 77 recording??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: