Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Polonaise "Heroic" - Chopin  (Read 9153 times)

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Polonaise "Heroic" - Chopin
on: November 20, 2006, 05:48:46 PM
Still polishing this piece, but would like to hear any comments in this stage.

Thanks.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Polonaise "Heroic" - Chopin
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 04:40:49 PM
either you and alhimia have a 'thing going' or my computer is doing strange things this morning.  i heard this past concert speed and into light speed.  are you both doing extracurriclar activities after recording your concerts?  like speeding up the mp3? 

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 11:39:02 PM
pianistimo, thanks for your comment but I didn't speeding up this recording, far from that . You can simply check the pitch OR attack-decay-sustain of the piano sound. I think it's not difficult to detect such trick.

Anyway, thanks for your comment  :)

Offline victor_ching

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 02:31:15 PM
Hey,

I think your intro needs improving: You started off slow and took off at a very fast tempo at the main theme. There needs to be consistancy in your tempo too: don't slow down and speed up too much.

There needs to be more feeling in this piece too. It has to be uplifting and morale raising. Its Heroic. By varying the tempo, I think you have slightly compromised the feel in this song. Listen to Van Cliburn's recording of it: it makes you want to hear more: makes you feel 'up', makes you feel uplifting... if you get what I mean... ??? Your interpretation of it is rushed: if Van Cliburn plays it in more than 7 minutes, you should too.

However, you have played this tiring and stamina demanding piece very well, and apart from the tempo,  which you really should adjust, and the occasional wrong note, it is well played

Hope this helped,
Victor Ching

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 02:30:27 AM
Hi victor, Thanks for your kind comment.

But regarding intro, though I still need improve as well as at other places, I think I played the 1/8 note count at  intro  faster than 1/8 note count at theme.
Or you're saying 1/4 note in intro should be played as fast as 1/8 note in theme ?  I'm a little bit confused cos' you said "Too slow at intro and too fast at theme"

Anyway thanks for your helpful comments,
Faj 

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 10:14:18 PM
Good, good. What you could do to improve it is play it more joyfully. More vivace if you know what I mean. This is supposed to be a happy jumpy playfull piece; almost like a scherzo. But your interpretation is very very good. I've heard some pretty bad interpritations of this piece.

Keep up the good work 8)
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 07:52:00 AM
Hi, Thanks for your kind advice !
Yes, I will keep polishing and improve it.
At the time being I feel it already reach my limit so need to refresh a while to re-polish again .

Offline jozart

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 07:11:08 AM
Hi faj,
I enjoyed your playing very much. I tend to agree with victor_ching it seems to be rushed some and a little less tempo will make control easier. The piece is so exciting, it's hard to hold back sometimes. I personally would like to hear the melancoly part (c section I guess) a little sweeter but that's my feelings. Also, maybe a little less pedal throughout although it could be the hall where you are recording. It's probably just me, I really like clarity..maybe too much. You have great facility, strength and stamina.
Thank you so much faj, I appreciate your work.
jozart
Joe Gargiulo

Offline lewisbrooke

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 11:48:34 AM
Just a quick bit of advice - my opinion anyway. I agree that it was slightly rushed and also I think that you could possibly make more use of subtle rubato, without overdoing it of course, at certain places. I thought you played that tricky left hand part with the repeated descending octaves very well, keeping it nice and light, although careful with the pedal when you get to the crescendos. One other thing you might want to try is to make better use of the accents he's written, particularly in many of the left-hand parts, and also on the section around page 12 when you have every C accented along with the sforzando in the left-hand. You mustn't forget or ignore accents like this. Otherwise though, I thought it was a good performance of a very difficult piece. I enjoyed it a lot.

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 03:14:06 AM
Thanks a lot for enjoying my recording . I'm so glad to hear that.
Also thanks a lot  for all great advice …

lewisbrooke, interesting to me that your comment is your 1st and only posting.
Thanks alot anyway  :)

Offline chopin53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 12:08:56 PM
hey, i think that`s very good
but i would try to play the first and last part a little bit slower and more powerful and more heroically. and i think for this piece the rythm of polonaise is also very important

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 04:53:30 AM
Hi Chopin53 (Heroic) !

Thanks for your comment and advice.
I agree with you it needs more "Polonaise" . Thanks !

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 11:19:48 PM
Here is my video recording of this piece

Any comments welcome

Best Regards,
Faj

Offline itaysegev

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 11:51:34 AM
Hi
It's very nice playing but I think that deficient the disposition and the powerful that needed to be in the Polonaise, and you can give more in the bass tones.
That will not understand wrong, I heard you have the technique but if I concentrate in the smallest details those the things you will can fix (again, for my opinion)
Thanks
Itay
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert