yes, best I've ever seen
29 (36.7%)
I've seen equal to this, but no better
9 (11.4%)
I've seen better
41 (51.9%)

Total Members Voted: 79

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Alexei Grynyuk - the Octave Marvel  (Read 40562 times)

Offline tomoglo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Alexei Grynyuk - the Octave Marvel
Reply #150 on: March 29, 2012, 05:03:03 PM
Obviously, we have different standarts. I consider that performance EXTREMELY sloppy and not for the reason of some missing notes, but the performance where the hardest part (anybody who plays this Rhapsody knows this spot on the last page, where both hands play the theme together) is completely messed up--he just cannot cop with his speed. NONE OF PROFESSIONALS would ever buy it.

And no, he does not need anything more to offer for mere reason of "he has nothing else to offer".

As for:
There are way too many 'musical' pianists out there, we need more pianists with more tehcnical excellence and the abandom to unleash this kind of meteoric warpfactor 8 speed.

As I see it, the problem is there are way too many modern pianists with "technical excellence" and way too few artists. That's the reason why music is in such state of crisis right now.

Your obsession with "raw speed" with no connection to music, is as silly as if somebody would start to be amazed by, let's say Michael Jordan, just for mere reason of how fast he moves his legs in the field.

This statement was articulated incredibly well. Speed has something to do with music, but does not constitute the other aspects that are required from a musician. Who cares if he is able to unleash a "meteoric warpfactor of 8" because of his octaves. In my opinion, it sounds undeniably sloppy. I would care less if he played any faster because the notes are not resonating within me.

He has astounding technical abilities, but what of it? A musician should be able to evoke many emotions rather than just one. Compositions from Liszt and Chopin undeniably have passages that exemplify fury, frustration, tranquility, and peace. However, these passages include several mixed emotions. The composers pour out their soul into these compositions in order for musicians like us to make them resonate within the audiences so that we can achieve a better understanding of their intent.

There is nothing wrong with "musical" pianists and rather that statement is a contradiction. Technical excellence does not cause one to become an excellent performer. Albeit, it does provide the musician a foundation for playing passages such as these, but there are plenty of other recordings out there that are more brilliantly articulated and understood.

M is right, if you feel that speed is the epitome, the most desirable, achievable aspect of a professional pianist then you my friend, will struggle in terms of musicianship.

Offline marik1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #151 on: April 02, 2012, 04:46:22 AM
My !&$%ing GOD... THIS is exactly why I haven't joined such childish, moronic, stupid and PATHETIC piano forums ever....

LOL marik....ZzZzZZzz...

I believe those two statements are somewhat in odds. Indeed, if you know who "Marik" is (and who hasn't been here for quite a few years) then most likely, unlike you are trying to pretend, you actually JOINED this forum before and in fact, were a member here... of course, under a different name, understandably--your entire style looks so familiar...

His name is op 10 no 2, the etude of Chopin.

What makes you think so? My perception has always been it was all about Beethoven Sonata No.6...

Offline pts1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #152 on: April 02, 2012, 05:32:45 AM
No, this is not so amazing.

Its really rather obscene, especially the Hr6.

This guy has absolutely no sense of what the Hungarian Rhapsody is about... hint... rhapsodic!

There is nothing "gyspy-like"... playful, seductive, "come hither" about the start of the octave section. Instead, its an all out hammering at full speed and he has no where to go, because he's already at full mastubatory tempo out of the gate, not unlike teenage boys who think great love making is climaxing FAST. And then they wonder why girls/women want nothing to do with them and their "great technique".

IMO, the best recordings are the Horowitz recordings or the Byron Janis recording.

Actually, the BEST IMO is a combination of Janis and Horowitz... i.e. Janis does some things better than Horowitz and vice versa.

Cziffra is also very good, but Argerich seems to just play the notes mostly.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #153 on: April 02, 2012, 06:07:07 AM
Liszt was verryyyy fond of quick octaves, and would definitely have loved Grynyuks speed.

Let's hear from from Liszt:

In a piano lesson with Liszt, a student was playing the famous A-flat Major Polonaise by Chopin. At the moment when the left hand begins its relentless march in octaves, Liszt burst out: "Do I care how fast you can play your octaves!? What I wish to hear is the canter of the horses of the Polish cavalry before they gather force and destroy the enemy!"

'nuff said.  :P

Incidentally, any decent MIDI machine can play octaves WAY faster than Grynyuk.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline asianpianoer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #154 on: October 03, 2012, 06:51:52 AM
no point in being able to play it that fast when the music doesn't call for it...
a lot of beauty is lost when the liszt is played like that .. no one can follow the melody etc

not saying this isn't technically astounding ... but really what's the point .. other than a world record or something .. that's making it sport not art
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert