Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: chopin ballade f minor op 52  (Read 2331 times)

Offline _chops

• PS Silver Member
chopin ballade f minor op 52
on: November 28, 2006, 11:23:48 PM
How good (I mean fantastic) does one be to play it??! Give me examples of repertoire..!

thanx!

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Re: chopin ballade f minor op 52
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 03:59:20 AM
Really good - technically and musically.

The coda is a killer.

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 06:42:03 AM
learning it at the moment - it's an amazing experience (haven't ahd a lesson on it yet, so that might all change  :-[)
Learn it if you like it - just don't perform it publically if you can't play it well 8)
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 04:11:39 PM
It's a nightmare to learn, but great fun! It's hard to get all the notes, but the musical side is much harder. I've played it for a year now, and still wouldn't feel happy enough to play it in public. I've only ever played it in exams, and it went wrong, and I really thought I'd learnt it. It's the sort of piece you need to know inside out before you start to sound anything like you want it to.

Offline _____

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 11:55:11 PM
Hardest of the ballades to interpret, imo.

Offline cygnusdei

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 09:43:04 AM
Do you guys know if the opposing crescendo & decrescendo are Chopin's own notation?

IMO this piece is not that difficult technically. Even the coda, while quite busy, is very pianistic. What I mean is that the notes fall on the fingers naturally. Because the work is very episodic, the difficulty lies in making sure that transitions between episodes are smooth.

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 02:09:03 PM
This ballade is terribly difficult. That's why this is the only ballade of Chopin's that I haven't learned 8)
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 05:36:54 PM
I think the cresendo and diminuendo suggest that it should not have any rit in that bar, but should get quieter. As if the cresendo suggests it should move towards the next bar, and the diminuendo means it gets quiter.

Offline adagio1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 06:16:27 PM
Well, the personality of a musician has much to do with the question of how good you have to be to play a piece.   Music is a field full of experts and egos.  Just who you should listen to is a good question.   Some will say play the Ballades straight, no rubato, less passion.   Some recognize that Chopin was a very young romantic when he wrote the flashy g-... some do not.    Inner voices and their importance, phrases etc..... everyone has an opinion.   I played the 4 Ballades in University (about 45 years ago).  I was not very good then. And yet I thought I was terrific.   Now I believe I am a better musician because I am not at all as worried about how good I am.   I am the one who decides how I will play the piece.  And if I can show some of the passion and beauty hopefully in my soul to others then I am good enough to play the piece.  This is not an attitude you can achieve overnight.   But I suggest you enjoy the f- piece and risk being a bit innovative.  Use common sense..... you need technique of course but most of all you need to stop thinking about how good you are.   Just play your best and learn to enjoy it.   And learn what YOU want.  Music is an art.   It is the language of the soul.  No one should have to ask if they are good enough to play a piece.   (Yes - common sense says not to try all the Russian composers concertos just because you like them..... BUT..... by all means give them a look..... you never know.... really)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert