Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: how much do you charge?  (Read 2794 times)

Offline falling4ever3

• PS Silver Member
how much do you charge?
on: February 05, 2004, 05:37:00 PM
How much do you usually charge for lessons? I found a teacher who will teach me for 14$ an hour, is that a good deal? I would appreciate any help you could offer, thanks!

Offline schnabels_grandson

• PS Silver Member
Re: how much do you charge?
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 08:13:17 PM
I charge a meagre $12 an hour  :'(.  After I gain experience I will raise my rate by a few dollars.  If you want to know if it's a good deal or not, ask the person offering the price how much experience/success they've had.  If they're a newbie, then it probably is an ok deal.  It's an even better deal if they have experience.
You don't have to eat garbage to know it's garbage.-Old Proverb
A good composer does not imitate; he steals.- Igor Stravinsky

minsmusic

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 05:40:59 AM
:o  $14 for a whole hour!  Not $14 for half an hour?

This is ridiculously cheap.  At the very least teachers will charge $24 - $80 an hour!  

Check her qualifications/experience.  If you're happy with it, go for it, you're getting yourself a deal of a lifetime!

Offline falling4ever3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 04:25:06 AM
opps, I meant 14$ half hour, sry about that  :)

minsmusic

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 05:04:22 AM
Regardless of the price, a 'good' deal is when you have found a teacher that delivers exactly what you're looking for.  Sometimes, you may not find this out until you've spent some time (yes, and money) with them.  If  you don't understand them, are too scared to ask questions, aren't progressing despite the effort you're putting in and the lesson is FREE, you're not 'getting a good deal'.  

How are your lessons going falling4ever3?  

Offline pianoannie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 05:19:06 PM
In my area, I am aware of teachers charging between $12 and $20 per half hour lesson.  It is becoming increasingly common, however, for teachers to 1) charge not per lesson, but rather, per semester, and 2) to teach only 45-60 minute lessons.

Offline deirpg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 09:41:17 PM
I charge $20 per half hour lesson, which works out to $80 a month per student.  For families, I offer a discount of $10 a month - so it's $150 for both kids.

I'm in Canada, and after looking around, I saw that this is pretty on par with what other teachers are charging.  At first, I thought it my be too high, but I'm getting to the stage where I'm going to have to turn people away, so I think the price is ok.

Offline falling4ever3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 06:57:38 AM

How are your lessons going falling4ever3?  

Well I haven't actually started yet, we are going to start in april with a 45 minute lesson once a week. I am really excited! The lady is really nice and has been teaching for about 5 years, but I think I can learn a lot from her.

minsmusic

Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 08:50:32 AM
Excellent!  :D

Offline rachlisztchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 10:03:59 AM
my teacher charges me 75 $ an hour

Xelles

Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 10:04:36 PM
my teacher charges me 75 $ an hour

That would explain the Mercedes-Benz in his/her driveway.

Offline scriabinsmyman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 11:25:27 PM
Well, when I had a teacher, he charged me $60/hour...that got to be very expensive.  I only charge $40/hour, but I only teach students as a hobby/extra cash.  I take only a few lessons a year from THE MASTERS, and those can cost a few hundred (no time limit, we just sit down and play and talk until we're tired).  But if you're a beginning or intermediate student, I wouldn't pay more than $40/hour.

Offline Kaaryn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 21, 2004, 03:33:19 AM
This year I charged $9.00 per half hour, $15 for 45 minutes.  Next year that will be going up to $10 per half hour and the 45 minutes will stay the same but I am going to try to get more students to take longer lessons.  The most expensive teacher in my area charges $13 per half hour, and she is certified and has both performance and teaching diplomas.  But we are in a small town, not in a city, so the rates are probably lower here.

Offline alkanite

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 25, 2004, 10:22:45 PM
I'm in Toronto, and charge $25/half hour.  I paid my teacher at the Conservatory $85/hour twelve years ago.  I played for 57 minutes, he talked for 3 and it was the best money I ever spent.  If you've got the right one, it doesn't matter what you pay.

Offline falling4ever3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004, 04:51:09 AM
HEY!

just thought i would post a little update on my lesson situation...

Me and her just started lessons today, I have actually decided on 1 hour lessons once a week, the reason being 30 minutes just turned out to be WAYY 2 short (even an hour seems to go by quick). So anyways,

It was a lot of fun we worked on some scales and simple things she gave me some stuff to sightread and we went through some books talking about key signatures, accidentals, rythm etc, but I knew most of the stuff she just wanted to see where I was at (since i had been teaching myself) and go over any things that I may have missed. She did teach me some stuff that I didn't know like chord progressions, and a lot of theory. Then she gave me this peice to work on, and I have only done a first few measure but i am in LOVE WITH IT. It's almost better than going under by evanescence, but  anyways, me and her get along really well and she is ordering me some books I think the Bastien series or it might be a different one since I am 13, not sure though, well anyways thought I would let you guys know, thanks for all ur help and advice with the prices and stuff,

- falling4ever3
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert