Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Learning the Schubert impromptus  (Read 12120 times)

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Learning the Schubert impromptus
on: December 22, 2006, 02:17:09 AM
I'm making a goal for myself to learn all the Schubert impromptus. Why am I doing this you may ask? I think they're beautifal pieces and they'd be good pieces to learn. I'm going in the order of easiest to hardest and I'm going to keep a log of them here:

Op.142 no.2
op.90 no.3
op.90 no.1 (learning)
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline le_poete_mourant

• PS Silver Member
Re: Learning the Schubert impromptus
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 04:24:35 AM
Good goal to have.  It'll take you a while.  Fingering is so important for the Impromptus, but even more important, I think, is phrasing.  Must be thoughtful. 

Good luck!

Offline cloches_de_geneve

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 07:41:43 AM
That's a superb goal to have! In addition, if you are performing, you can place them on almost any recital-program. And people just love them - with good reason.
"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Offline arbisley

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 09:21:52 AM
Quite right, i've learned the 3rd one, and i absolutely love the 1st and 2nd. Haven't heard the fourth one yet unfortunately...

They're the type of piece I think can always remain in top form without too much practise once you have mastered them to perfection, maybe that's just because it's the first time I almost did that. I should post a recording in the audition room when I get it...

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 01:16:10 PM
thanks guys. arbisley, you should here murray periahs recording of the impromptus thats what inspired me to learn them. I finished learning op.142 no.2 and im about to work on op.90 no.3
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 04:55:45 PM
I finished learning op.90 no.3 and started op. 90 no.1  8)

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 05:08:28 PM
I finished learning op.90 no.3 and started op. 90 no.1  8)

You finished the impromptu in 4 hours? Just what are you trying to prove here?
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 05:12:46 PM
You finished the impromptu in 4 hours? Just what are you trying to prove here?

It wasn't that hard acctualy. Pretty basic. Spend about 2 hours learning the notes and another 2 learning details such as dynamics and rythym. It wasn't that hard.

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 01:52:22 AM
Dude, can I have a free ticket to your Carnegie Hall debut?

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 01:56:30 AM
Dude, can I have a free ticket to your Carnegie Hall debut?

Ok give me your address and ill mail you a ticket 8) 

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 02:00:52 AM
123 Fake Street

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 02:11:21 AM
123 Fake Street

ok the ticket is on the way 8)

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 02:11:58 AM
Respect.  ;D

Offline cloches_de_geneve

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 08:32:33 AM
Among many other recordings of the impromptus, I have a recording of the op. 90 pieces by Sergio Fiorentino. I can tell you: For these pieces, the guy is unmatched! Listen to his recording and you'll quickly forget the ones by Perahaia, Schiff, Brendel, Richter & co.

The point I want to make here: In the end, it is completely irrelevant if it takes you 4 hours, 4 days, 4 weeks, 4 months or 4 years to learn these pieces. I would take 4 years over 4 hours anytime if, in the end, I was able to interpret these impromtus like a true artist and poet. THAT should be the ultimate goal even though, sadly, it is out of reach for 99.5% of accomplished professional concert pianists (not to speak of amateurs).
"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Offline cygnusdei

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 09:13:33 AM
I have a DVD of a Zimerman recital playing Chopin 4 Ballades, Scherzo no. 2, Fantasy op. 49, Barcarolle, and Schubert Impromptus Op. 90. It is so anticlimatic.  He played the impromptus beautifully, but the music is of such limited dramatic and emotional range  that they seem little more than encore pieces compared to the Chopin numbers.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 05:35:33 PM
I'm going to play the Op.90 Impromptus in April. Looking forward to playing 30 minutes of music that the audience will enjoy and that won't stress me out. Then I only have to learn the f minor Op.142 #1 to have them all in my rep.

But before I learn that one (don't care for it much) it's the Sonata in A D. 959, my favorite Scubert Sonata.
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert