Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Liszt - La Campanella  (Read 4283 times)

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Liszt - La Campanella
on: December 28, 2006, 09:56:47 PM
here it is,

sounds a bit compressed (and i have to polish a bit)

any advice on the octaves (or anything) would be greatly appreciated

Offline instromp

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt - La Campanella
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 02:21:06 AM
Greetings  ;D

Sounds very nice  :D, reverb (think thats the right word) sounds like a hall auditorium performance.Where did u record this?
And what version is this, sounds new to my ears?
the metranome is my enemy

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 10:05:35 PM
sounds very amazing  :o

How long did it take you in days weeks months to learn that piece and how much time did you spend on it each day?
"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Offline paris

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 07:09:22 PM
hey!

so i listened it. you play different version then me, indeed, is it busoni? just curious.
well, it has some really nice parts. the very begining, i'd play more, can't find proper word for it, but maybe ''mysterious'' is the nearest one? very pianissimo.

i really liked that first part, only thing if i can suggest, is part with thrill in right hand, make it more piano, so that you can nicely bring out thema. one pianist told me, that this part should be played like musicbox. you know when you open it and it starts to play so gentle and sweet.

oh, one more thing which crossed my mind. how do you pedalize? i heard you use it pretty much, but if you could tell, because some people suggested me very opposite ways of pedalizing, from very dry, to almost blurred.

now. octaves. yay. my humble opinion is that piu mosso part should be definitely faster.
i use some kind of tempo gradation, piu mosso begining with those jumps on 176-184, octaves about 208 , while coda also 208 or faster.
but then again, i tend to slow down after cromatics, when thrill comes. then it makes perfect gradation to piu mosso.

as for octaves, main reason for slow octaves was lazy thumb (for me). it helped me practising only thumb in right tempo. another thing which developed my octaves; there is a group of 6 octaves (6+6 in one bar, right?). i put metronome on 100, and do all 6 octaves in one beat. then slow down metronome and do 12 octaves. then slow down again and play 18 octaves. after a day or two practising like that i could easily play octaves. generally, you should bounce your wrist very quickly and ''in one breath''. it sounds silly, but try to think that one group of 6 octaves is played in one breath. it helps, really.

good luck!  :)

Critics! If one would be a critic, one should begin with self-criticism !
    -Franz Liszt

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 01:16:37 AM
Greetings  ;D

Sounds very nice  :D, reverb (think thats the right word) sounds like a hall auditorium performance.Where did u record this?
And what version is this, sounds new to my ears?

I combined the original Liszt and Busoni, and changed around the ending very slightly.

This was recorded in a small hall and I added some reverb.

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 01:17:54 AM
sounds very amazing  :o

How long did it take you in days weeks months to learn that piece and how much time did you spend on it each day?

I started freshman year, overpracticed and built up the dynamics too much.

I braught it back earlier this year and it was a lot easier after letting it rest, and by doing much pianissimo practice.  I probably spent 2 hours on it each day freshman year for about 4 months.

thanks

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 01:34:02 AM
hey!

so i listened it. you play different version then me, indeed, is it busoni? just curious.
well, it has some really nice parts. the very begining, i'd play more, can't find proper word for it, but maybe ''mysterious'' is the nearest one? very pianissimo.

i really liked that first part, only thing if i can suggest, is part with thrill in right hand, make it more piano, so that you can nicely bring out thema. one pianist told me, that this part should be played like musicbox. you know when you open it and it starts to play so gentle and sweet.

oh, one more thing which crossed my mind. how do you pedalize? i heard you use it pretty much, but if you could tell, because some people suggested me very opposite ways of pedalizing, from very dry, to almost blurred.

now. octaves. yay. my humble opinion is that piu mosso part should be definitely faster.
i use some kind of tempo gradation, piu mosso begining with those jumps on 176-184, octaves about 208 , while coda also 208 or faster.
but then again, i tend to slow down after cromatics, when thrill comes. then it makes perfect gradation to piu mosso.

as for octaves, main reason for slow octaves was lazy thumb (for me). it helped me practising only thumb in right tempo. another thing which developed my octaves; there is a group of 6 octaves (6+6 in one bar, right?). i put metronome on 100, and do all 6 octaves in one beat. then slow down metronome and do 12 octaves. then slow down again and play 18 octaves. after a day or two practising like that i could easily play octaves. generally, you should bounce your wrist very quickly and ''in one breath''. it sounds silly, but try to think that one group of 6 octaves is played in one breath. it helps, really.

good luck!  :)

great advice, thanks
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert