Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: ondine  (Read 6726 times)

Offline elevateme

• PS Silver Member
ondine
on: December 30, 2006, 09:11:14 PM
ok here u go. its not that good and i buggered up the thirds bit but i get really nervous in concerts so i cant help that. and its what you asked for. whatever ive done to annoy you im sorry

please listen to the whole thing, the starts crap

...scarbo coming soon
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Re: ondine for jakev2.0
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 09:20:32 PM
It's certainly not bad. You pick a slower tempo and make it work pretty well. I could tell you were nervous. I have the same problem.  Good job man. I'm sure you'll be able to play this piece very confidently in the future.

I'm sorry I pressured you into posting a recording you are not entirely happy with. You can always take it down if you want.

Offline elevateme

• PS Silver Member
Re: ondine for jakev2.0
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 09:24:31 PM
thanks man.
im gona leave it and see if anyone else listens. i might post opus 10 no 4 if i get time to record it
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline infectedmushroom

• PS Silver Member
Re: ondine
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 10:32:43 PM
I like the slower tempo you've chosen, it "suits" the piece very well I think.

A nice clear sound of the Piano and a good performance.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 12:27:45 AM
Overall, I like your rendition of "Ondine".  You bring a wonderful expressive artistry to the piece along with a fine technique to cope with its many difficulties.  Occasionally, you seem a bit tentative, but that is plainly due to nervousness.  I think as you continue to live with this piece, that will settle down and take care of itself.  The tempo is not really a problem.  While it is a tad slower than general performance practice, it is certainly within acceptable range.  Moreover, if there is a choice between tempo and clarity, the latter is always far more important.  Your demonstrated ability to "put the piece over to an audience" makes this is a very creditable performance in my opinion.  Thanks for posting it!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 12:31:24 AM
Agree totally. It's also worth noting that he improves throughout the performance up to the climax which is quite well done.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 04:02:11 AM
Yes, Elevateme's performance rapidly improved and became solidly convincing, including the climax.  Sometimes nerves in a public performance or slight inattention in practicing can get a piece off to a less than ideal start and create an odd focus momentarily for the pianist.  All of us have experienced that.  I noticed it just today when I started Debussy's "Reflets dans l'eau" at home.  The opening measures in that piece have to be totally atmospheric, meaning that pedaling, relaxation, touch and nuance must be exactly right to create the mood and impression of shifting reflections.  The first attempt didn't go as well as it should have, and had that been a public performance, I would have felt a nervous pressure to get things on course.  Elevateme worked through that very well in the opening of Ondine--good continuity and adjustment of approach.

Similarly, how many of us have sat down to play a piano in performance and to find deficiencies in the instrument?  We have had to immediately adjust our manner of playing accordingly.

When I was a kid, I attended a recital by Rudolph Serkin.  He was the King of Nerves.  He sat down at the piano looking frazzled.  Next, he produced a handkerchief and polished his glasses so much, he probably altered the lens prescription.  Even the audience was getting restless and uptight.  But...  as soon as he played his first note, he was totally transformed and absorbed in his music making.  If he could do it, anyone can.  Being a little nervous is a good thing too.  It guards against over-confidence and complacency.     
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline elevateme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 07:02:39 AM
wow thanks i didnt expect all these comments! theyre really helpful, thank you. regarding the slow speed.. i can play it faster, but i choose not to. i prefer it at that speed. however thats just my personal taste, everyone is different  !
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 11:12:30 PM
Great choice in tempo, your rhythmic flexibility was very effective in romanticizing this piece.

Take that as a huge compliment, I'm ridiculously critical about performances of this piece.

Offline super666lucifer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 05:50:11 AM
Beautiful! Personally I wouldn't have gone for the slower tempo, but you made it work well. Still, it's one of the best I've heard, and I look forward to hearing Scarbo. ;)

Offline elevateme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 11:47:15 PM
thanks pitabread that means a lot and rachfan lucifer and jake thankyou all
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 12:15:17 AM
So where's the Scarbo?

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 12:48:58 AM
good job :)

you do have nice tone and musicality

i'm working on the Scarbo as we speak.

How do you go about practicing Scarbo?  General question - i know.

Offline elevateme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 09:46:32 AM
thanks musicsdarkangel thats really kind.

um, practicing scarbo -

i just practice the weak parts for me, with the metronome. start low and move up one notch at a time & it all suddenly becomes a lot easier! sorry i know thats really poor advice and a rubbish answer but it works for me.

i can record it next month i think
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline liszt-essence

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 07:53:42 PM
thanks musicsdarkangel thats really kind.

um, practicing scarbo -

i just practice the weak parts for me, with the metronome. start low and move up one notch at a time & it all suddenly becomes a lot easier! sorry i know thats really poor advice and a rubbish answer but it works for me.

i can record it next month i think

lol sounds like good advice to me

Nice job on the ondine, I like your tempo choise. It's like it gives you more space to fully express the music.

Offline elevateme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 11:16:04 PM
thank you very much liszt-essence ! glad you enjoyed it
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 12:10:35 AM
Great job! i really enjoyed listening to your rendition of this piece. a few things that i would like to say; your tone was great and you set a good mood to the piece. i felt that the first 2 mins lacked in momentum. this may have been nerves, im not sure. after this, things seemed to fall into place, but i noticed that very frequently in the changes of phrasing and ideas of the piece, you tend to slow down before each one. i think this is wise to create certain spots to slow down and regain concentration, but i felt that you did it too much and it gave me the impression of it being a slightly timid performance. once again, this maybe down to nerves and so this just means it needs a few more times infront of the audience. maybe try being a bit braver next time, take a risk.

on the whole, for a first performance and first recording here, nicely done.

Gruff

Offline elevateme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 10:25:33 PM
thanks for the comments gruffalo and thanks very much for the advice i will definately use that to improve.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline molto-marcato

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 12:47:32 PM
I feel great respect and envy for each of you Gaspard-people  ;) . BTW i really liked your performance but cannot give constructive critics because this matter at the moment is well too complex for me. Maybe one day......  ;D

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 09:45:40 PM
too complex for me to crit, too - but wow- it's beautiful.  very even and 'convincing' as someone else said.  it does sound so reflective.  and, it's really clear.  you don't have muddy pedalling.  that's hard to do in a piece like this.  it almost sounds like you have four hands in places.  it's really beautiful!

Offline elevateme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 10:05:06 PM
wow!! thank you !! :)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: January 21, 2007, 11:24:22 PM
Gorgeous!  I like your tempo, and you achieve the wonderful rippling effects with great artistry.

Love it!
Teresa

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 01:43:43 PM
I really enjoyed this performance. I thought the tempo was perfect.

Its a very mature performance, and thats great since you are young. And for a live performance it was great.

Think about your mental attitude to the thirds, I've heard you do the thirds perfectly, I even have you on my phone playing the 3rds perfectly! So if you start thinking you can do it, you will be able too! The technique is certainly there.

Well played! I look forward to Le Gibbet and Scarbo

Offline elevateme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007, 02:09:23 PM
Gorgeous!  I like your tempo, and you achieve the wonderful rippling effects with great artistry.

Love it!
Teresa
I really enjoyed this performance. I thought the tempo was perfect.

Its a very mature performance, and thats great since you are young. And for a live performance it was great.

Think about your mental attitude to the thirds, I've heard you do the thirds perfectly, I even have you on my phone playing the 3rds perfectly! So if you start thinking you can do it, you will be able too! The technique is certainly there.

Well played! I look forward to Le Gibbet and Scarbo

thanks teresa! and thanks franz. might not post le gibet because no one would listen lol
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: January 25, 2007, 07:41:02 PM
i would, i love le gibet. it wouldnt be a complete work without it. the three together are genius.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert