Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: simple question  (Read 1864 times)

Offline pies

• PS Silver Member
simple question
on: December 31, 2006, 02:32:28 AM
what is the proper term for a horizontal accent (the ">" above single notes)?

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: simple question
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 03:15:27 AM
duh.  accent?  or is this a trick question?

Offline pies

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 03:27:16 AM
isn't there a italian/french/foreign term for it?

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 04:46:25 AM
marcato? coll arco?  i don't know.  i think that in italian they have all kinds of terms - but the type of accent you play widely varies with the time period and the composer.

i used to think those sfz's in beethoven were crashing.  so everytime i came to one - pow.  now, i realize (after listening to a lot of choral music) that you use them incontext.  i mean if you are in a passage that is mp and you have sfz suddenly come up - it is within the context of what is before and after.  makes it much more refined.

now with coll arco - you have a bowing of the violin vs staccato or marcato.

marcato can be the straight line - right?  so you can play a little less staccato - or you can play coll arco - which is giving more emphasis to the 'line.'  so it's more intensified rather than lightly staccato.

as i see it - these symbols are relatively stale without a context.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert