Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Technical elitism?  (Read 2248 times)

Offline elspeth

• PS Silver Member
Technical elitism?
on: January 07, 2007, 11:10:19 PM
I've just posted a repertoire-based question on the students' board... I was going to post it on the repertoire board but got put off by the note that appeared saying that the repertoire board was intended primarily for teachers or technically advanced people and that if I didn't consider myself advanced I should go back to the students' board. To be fair, on relection, the question I asked probably just about is better in the students' board, but it's borderline. I could argue for it on either...

I consider myself intermediate at the moment, and although I can see nobody would want the repertoire board getting cluttered up with the 'please tell me what to play next' or 'help me pick beginner's pieces/books/exam pieces' threads that appear on the students' board, I have to say I'm a little miffed at the implication that just because I'm not as technically advanced as many people on this forum somehow means I don't have intelligent non-beginner/exam repertoire-based questions. Some of us do have knowledge or questions that extend beyond what our fingers are currently capable of.
Go you big red fire engine!

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Re: Technical elitism?
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 12:17:02 AM
I'm a little miffed at the implication that just because I'm not as technically advanced as many people on this forum ...

better say:

not as technically advanced as many people on this forum  pretend to be

I don't like this elitism either. For me it doesn't matter, how technically difficult a piece is, but how musically it is played. And the best technicians are not always the best musicians at the same time.
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline alzado

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 05:37:20 PM
The same elitism can be found on the instruments forum.

Some seem to natter on about the Bechstein or Steinway with the main purpose of indirectly telling us they are very wealthy. 

This sometimes goes so far that any acceptable grand piano, to include brands like Yamaha, are simply beneath their contempt.  Some mom writes in to ask about a piano for little Johnny, and they start discussing $85,000 pianos.

This is sort of a "I'm better than you" game they play.  I have a very nice grand piano, but it is not one of the prestige, elite brands, and I do not like being patronized.

----------------------------

To take your post a little different way, if the repertoire thread is only intended for advanced players and experienced teachers, there will be few if any questions asked, right?  These people hardly need to query the forum on points of information.  They are semi-professional, after all.

So if the repertoire area is limited to such visitors -- what good is it?

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 06:50:09 PM
I've just posted a repertoire-based question on the students' board... I was going to post it on the repertoire board but got put off by the note that appeared saying that the repertoire board was intended primarily for teachers or technically advanced people and that if I didn't consider myself advanced I should go back to the students' board.
I have to say I'm a little miffed at the implication that just because I'm not as technically advanced as many people on this forum somehow means I don't have intelligent non-beginner/exam repertoire-based questions. Some of us do have knowledge or questions that extend beyond what our fingers are currently capable of.

I am sorry to hear you are getting miffed but I think you might be missing the point if taking it as "technical elitism".
It is not about technique but experience and it is not about elitism but about organisation of information.

What the note says is:

"This board is primarily intended for professional pianists and piano teachers as well as piano students and amateures at an advanced level. If you are not part of this group, consider posting in the Student's Corner instead."

If you or anyone else have ideas about how to improve the wording of the above note to avoid members taking it in a negative way they are very welcome here or via PM.

To take your post a little different way, if the repertoire thread is only intended for advanced players and experienced teachers, there will be few if any questions asked, right?  These people hardly need to query the forum on points of information.  They are semi-professional, after all.

Why shouldn't "semi-professionals" (and other members for which those boards are intended) have questions to ask or topics to discuss?
If you visit the Performance, Repertoire or Teaching boards I am sure you will find plenty of topics there.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 11:07:43 PM
Hmmm....

Maybe, "This board is intended for discussion of intermediate piano repertoire and up."  ?

I always thought the repertoire board was for discussing standard piano literature.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert