Piano Forum

Poll

When you are about to give a concert/audition

You are nervous as hell, hands are shaking and you concentrate mainly to not screw the piece(s).
8 (30.8%)
You feel anxiety but can deal with it.
13 (50%)
You really like performing/ playing in front of a large audience, because of the special experience sharing your music with others.
4 (15.4%)
You wouldn't give a concert at all.
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: When you are about to give a concert/audition  (Read 1738 times)

Offline molto-marcato

• PS Silver Member
When you are about to give a concert/audition
on: January 09, 2007, 02:45:43 PM
Hello everyone,

i'm about to give my first concert to about 75 people on occasion of the wedding of my sister in a few weeks. I can feel a little anxiety and wanted to know how all of you, including the pro's, feel right before concert.

Offline arbisley

• PS Silver Member
Re: When you are about to give a concert/audition
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 04:33:10 PM
I used to feel pretty nervous before a concert, anxious is a better expression for it. My hands and feet would shake a lot and make me do silly mistakes I'd never ever done before. After playing for quite a while in front of people, I now can control the adrenalin to make me enjoy the concert, concentrate more on the notes, and I just love walking up in front of the audience to play music I love.
The main thing is to be absolutely sure you know the music, and concentrate only on that and nothing else when you play.

Offline assante

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 05:23:13 PM
i still feel anxiety, and no, it's not pleasant, but to me it's like having a headache, it's there, you know it, but you get on with your day. And it goes away at some point or another.

I have yet to see a performer about to perform some major work and not feel the slightest "hum" of adrenaline. The fact that you face the unknown alone will set up an instinctive brain reaction. Probably goes back to cave men about to go hunting or something.
For me it got better the day i thought " LAdies and Gentlemen, this is me , me thinking, my emotions, my abilities and limitations  . I can not be more than that at the moment, this is all i can be, this is what i can do. "
And then you go on stage, and you start. Thinking about the 1st note first is usually a good idea. Then you move on to the 2nd one.. :)
And i'll play as good as i practiced ( not how much, but how well i worked) and as good as i can concentrate and create the fusion between body, mind, instrument, feelings and flow of the music.

Offline arbisley

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 06:59:34 PM
I think the hum of adrenaline is what makes it exciting and makes performers enjoy doing that as often as possible. On top of what you said about just accepting the fact that what you perform is what you have practised and is the best your efforts will come to, I also think that it requires a certain arrogance to play in front of people. It's about trying to say what you think, what you think the music should say, and try to convince others to see your point of view and produce similar emotions in them.

If your are confident about what you want to do and can visualise how you will achieve that from the first note, then there will be less anxiety and more pleasure from the adrenalin surge.

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 08:33:03 AM
I feel a bit anxious, but I am eager to perform, just so long I am prepared and have something to do. I want top show the whole damn world! WHOAR!!

Anxiety is always present, but it can be reduced to such a level, it seems like you are used to it. I did that, you have to get used to it. I used to and still do hold many recitals during lunchtime at school (i get an allocated spot and perform with other people). The first few times were scary, but it subsequently diminished as I kept on performing and now when I perform, I feel all natural.

Can't say for really large competitions like Leeds.
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline elevateme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 10:22:25 PM
if youre playing decent pieces, just say to yourself that you are merely showing people how good the music is. when i play a good piece in a concert in my head im like omg listen to that bit that is orgasmic . lol
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline molto-marcato

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 09:38:39 AM
Thank you all so far. Im going to post my experience after the concert next month. I will try to be prepared as good as possible so i can avoid (hopefully) screwing everything. If you are interested my program look like this:

Solo:

Wagner - Bridal Chorus
Chopin - Noct. 20 ph
Brubeck/Desmond - Take five
Yann Tiersen - La Valse d'amelie
Chopin - Noct. op.9No1

Piano with vocalist:

Giordano - Caro mio bien
Some Ave Maria
Weil/Brecht - Seeräuberjenny and Barbarasong
Elton John - Your Song
Some German Musical Song called - Gold von den Sternen

Remember this is a wedding  ;)

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 02:25:21 PM
for me, i feel both numbers 1 and 2. i love performing, but i get nervous. my hands used to shake a lot, and so did my legs, but this soon stopped once i found a more efficient way of memorizing. i feel the satisfaction of performing during and after a performance more than i do so before it. its weird, because i love putting myself out there but i get nervous at the same time.

Offline letters

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 05:14:02 PM
i tend to be fine, a little nervous beforehand.... UNTIL i think "i am playing infront of all this people and they are all listening"  - thats when i get nervous!!!! If i can get through and not think of this then usually everything goes fine,.... just block the audience out of your mind and dont make eye contact... i wont be a very friendly performer though!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert