Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: schubert op 142 no 2  (Read 9068 times)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
schubert op 142 no 2
on: January 21, 2007, 04:20:13 AM
i haven't really worked this, per se - but just sort of decided to play it tonght.  here's the first part.

it's an echo of the allegretto from beethoven's piano trio op 70 no 2

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: schubert op 142 no 2
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 04:34:42 AM
second mvt - the start of five variations (theme) on schubert's favorite theme from the a minor quartet (&rosamunde)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 04:36:47 AM
variation I

secret:  on the third measure from the end - use your lh for the middle two notes of the rh last beat. (the D and F/Bb   2 - 13)  then on the next to last measure the lh would be 25, 13, 24, 15, 135.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 04:03:54 AM
Pianistimo,

You play with extraordinary evenness.  I like your phrasing too.  You display much musicality.  If I had to make one suggestion, (and I realize you need to do a little polishing on this piece), it would be to bring out the dramatic dynamic contrasts of Schubert.   As you know, he shared a unique period with Beethoven, both having one foot in Viennese Classicism and the other in the Romantic Age.  So they were both what I would call transitional Pre-Romantics in music history.  Both loved to lull their listeners, then suddenly jolt them.  I didn't get that in this particular rendition though.  I've attached my own recording here, if you'd like to hear it.

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 04:31:52 PM
agreed about contrast.  i just like bringing the dynamics a bit closer to each other.  once i read something about putting sfz's in context.  that's the viennese way.  listen to one of the greats play this sonata - and it won't be exceedingly loud even in the seemingly marked areas.  it will be 'in context.' 

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 12:55:17 AM
Hi,

I totally agree with you.  There is no such thing as absolute forte.  Forte is relative based on the context of the individual piece, same as p.  I still think you could safely and appropriately make a little bit more of the fortes in this piece though.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 01:20:27 AM
hehe i play this impromptu as well. Your phrasing was great. When I first downloaded this I thought it would be a sloppy disconected mess. Your trio section was also suprisingly good. It had great eveness.

Keep it up!
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 04:31:10 AM
thanks!  there's always something to work on.  agreed about contrasts.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert