Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: The good effect of practicing on a hard touch piano.  (Read 8470 times)

Offline debussy symbolism

• PS Silver Member
The good effect of practicing on a hard touch piano.
on: February 06, 2007, 05:54:43 PM
Greetings.

Today I had a very fortunate opportunity to have access to one of the music rooms in my college that contained a Steinway-Sons grand piano. The class wasn't in session, and I took advantage of the fact that the door to the room was open. I bashed out a couple of Moszkowski etudes on the piano and wow. The action was definately lighter than what I am used to. I practice on a Baldwin and the action is tough, so when I approached the Steinway I instantly felt the ease of playing. My fingers naturally moved with ease, a feeling that only comes after warming up when I practice at home. What I was amazed at was the clarity of sound. I played (half way) through the 3rd etude and I actually heard the splendour of the piece. No mess. And the sound was so beautiful and so... there are no words to describe it so I will just say that the sound really amazed me. I was able to play these pieces without warming up. Therefore I am really grateful to be able to practice on a Baldwin, and also grateful to have the opportunity to play on a Steinway. I hope I get the chance to play on it again soon.

Offline desordre

• PS Silver Member
Re: The good effect of practicing on a hard touch piano.
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 06:40:28 PM
 Dear DS:
 A Steinway is a Steinway. Period.
 Best!
Player of what?

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 07:09:28 PM
Yes i am convinced that it is better to practise on a piano with a harder touch at home. The other way around it is more difficult. One of my students told me today that he had practised on a Steinway at his school and as soon as he started to play on his piano at home,which has a lighter touch, he could play much faster :P. BUT!! (as I told also my student) Be careful! Don't exaggerate! If you tend to get stiff or tense you need to be always sure to practise relaxation as well. Means SLOW practicing with a relaxing phase after every touch.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 07:23:13 PM
i am convinced of this, too.  but, i am confused why so many artists prefer to perform on very lightweight action pianos.  can you really get all the various dynamic shadings that you can with a stiffer action?  if it's only speed - and three dynamics - then a light playing piano is ok (steinway being an exception - and i'm sure there are more) - but even between steinways you can have a bit of variation, right?! 

i LOVE my kawaii.  it has a very stiff action even still (after 20 plus years).  it's a studio upright. 

Offline infectedmushroom

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 07:49:46 PM
DS,

I agree with you!

In my opinion, it's good to practise on an upright Piano with stiff action. Also, if the Piano isn't that good, it's very difficult to produce a nice sound out of it. The advantage you have with that is, like your experience; it's easier to play on a very good Piano, cause you're used to worse.

I had the same experience. I'm used to play on a bad Piano at home and sometimes I visit the Pianodealer near my town. I sit behind a Concert Grand Piano, start to play and it's like magic. Playing is easier, dynamics are easier to control and much more joy!  ;)

Offline nocturnelover

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 10:05:16 AM
What can I say I have a stupid childs keyboard, touch response there is NO resistance and I hate the sound of it too because it isn't real! I'm really angry because I have piano lessons but I will never improve to the extent that I want to without a proper piano. There's a beautiful kawai grand in our hall at school it used to be unlocked and sometimes the door to the hall would be unlocked and I could play on it. Now it is locked and the hall door is open all the time. Sigh now I have absolutely no access to real piano. I think it makes a huge difference. I'd love the opportunity to play on a proper Steinway.

Offline jepoy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 11:16:51 AM
I had a similar experience. We have a Samick grand piano (a gift from my aunt who used to be a Samick dealer). It's not a good piano at all. The touch is quite "sticky" and uneven. It's especially hard to produce pp and ppp because on some keys, I could press it gently mid-way but it gets kinda stuck in the middle so I have to apply more force just to make it sound. By then, the sound is at least an mp, not pp and ppp that I prefer. It bothers me how I have to keep repeating certain notes because I couldn't achieve the sound that I want.

One summer, I was at my bro's house and he had a brand new Yamaha grand. I played on it and I was just in awe on how much fewer mistakes I made and how much more immersed I got into the music. It didn't sound like my crappy playing at all.

While the Samick grand may have been a blessing in disguise, I would still want a better piano like a Yamaha grand or if I win the lottery, a Steinway concert grand. It's just simply productive to play on an instrument that works with me, not against me.

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 08:57:18 PM
What can I say I have a stupid childs keyboard, touch response there is NO resistance and I hate the sound of it too because it isn't real! I'm really angry because I have piano lessons but I will never improve to the extent that I want to without a proper piano. There's a beautiful kawai grand in our hall at school it used to be unlocked and sometimes the door to the hall would be unlocked and I could play on it. Now it is locked and the hall door is open all the time. Sigh now I have absolutely no access to real piano. I think it makes a huge difference. I'd love the opportunity to play on a proper Steinway.

Why not ask the office for the key to the piano so you can play it? The pedals on the grand at my school have recently fallen off completely so it's been locked until they fix it, which I doubt they'll get around to.
Currently learning:<br />Liszt- Consolation No.3<br />J.W.Hässler- Sonata No.6 in C, 2nd mvt<br />Glière- No.10 from 12 Esquisses, Op.47<br />Saint-Saens- VII Aquarium<br />Mozart- Fantasie KV397<br /

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 10:03:25 PM
After almost forty years of working on my practice clavier even the heaviest actions are fine, not that I play on many different pianos anyway. I agree with Susan in that I find dynamic musical control difficult on a piano with a light touch or a shallow dip. Everything runs away with me speedwise but once the initial sensation of power subsides the rot sets in. Having said that, I suppose I could get used to anything with sufficient practice.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline rc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 10:12:02 PM
Nocturnelover:  Those plastic keyboards are horrible, it really will hold you back, you should find some other way ASAP!  Henrah has a good idea in asking for a key to the piano, you could also offer in exchange for use of their piano to maintain it, keep it clean, call in the technician when it needs repairs or a tuning...

You'll still want something decent to practice on at home, your best bet is a digital piano.  It's still not the real thing, but it's much more useful than a cheap plastic toy.  Look into ways to get ahold of a digital, get a part time job, do chores around the house, anything to make a buck and it won't take long before you have enough money to buy one.

Offline nocturnelover

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 10:39:06 AM
Thanks I think I will ask the school or my school music teacher and I'll keep pressing my parents!!

Offline ichiru

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 02:03:22 PM
Aaaah... I always play on Yamaha U3 and have my lesson at Kawai grand. And I will have a chance to perform in Steinway this March. I cannot wait!!!!!! Really cannot wait!!!!  :D

Offline knabe31

• PS Gold Member
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 03:01:10 PM
These are very interesting comments. I have the opposite problem. My piano at home is lighter to the touch (august Forster grand) and my piano teachers is quite a bit stiffer (Mason and Hamlin) I find it difficult to get the same results on her piano as I do on mine. I play much better on mine and sometime feel like the lesson didn't go very well because of the piano!!! Can the action be made heavier or stiffer on a piano that has a lighter touch??? Does anyone know if this is possible??

Offline ichiru

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 03:09:35 PM
Can the action be made heavier or stiffer on a piano that has a lighter touch??? Does anyone know if this is possible??

One of my teachers piano was modified to be lighter. So, logically, I think it can work on the opposite. But, I think it will cost much money, eh?

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 07:43:13 PM
Yeah. I am really thankful for having to have a chance to play at a Steinway and really thankful for practicing on a hard touch piano. :)

Offline marco_from_brazil

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 10:06:12 PM
I know what  you mean, I play on a 1948 Bentley studio upright at home. I mean, I love the way it sounds, but the action, GEEZ. not only too heavy but uneven even around neighbouring keys. I'm seriously considering trying to rebuild the action myself now that I got that piano servicing guide by Reblitz, but I'm kinda scared. and lazy.  ;)

I just got enrolled in college, my classes start in March, and most pianos there are small Steinway grands, man I can't wait to play on a decent piano for a change.  ;D
Learning:
Bach Prelude and Fugue C-minor WTC Bk.2
Chopin Etude no.6 Op. 10
Beethoven 6 Variations on 'Nel cor piu non mi sento'
Villa-Lobos 'As traquinices do mascarado mignon'

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 10:08:08 PM
Yeah the Steinways are really good; not only for the ear but also for the hands. I really love their touch and their sound.

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 08:33:45 PM
Love digital pianos I have to admit

Even action in all registers is wonderfull if you love to play fast.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 09:02:25 PM
The digital pianos have a very even touch so sound okay. When you play on an acoustic though you have to control the sound. That is what I love about it, is that you can create an infinite variety of sound and tone.

Offline nocturnelover

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 10:50:40 AM
Today I went into the city and there was a music shop and there were all these grand pianos at the back omg no steinways but I got to play on that was $80,000 funnily enough this other one for 44,000 sounded better to me and the action was so easy and it sounded soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful.  ;D I want it!!!!!!!!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 08:34:02 PM
Sometimes the best pianos aren't the most expensive ones, but Steinways are usually always good.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert