Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: preparations for competition in april  (Read 1215 times)

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
preparations for competition in april
on: February 07, 2007, 12:20:50 AM
Every year my school holds a musician of the year award. I've never been interested in this but I decided it would be fun to enter. My friend is playing a Mozart sonata. I was thinking about playing Chopin's first ballade or another piece like that that's competition friendly. There are some really good singers and violinists also entering and I was wondering what I need to do besides practicing Insesently to increase my chances of winning against other talented musicians. I wish I could answer this question myself but this is the first music competition I've entered.

Thoughts are greatly appriciated 8)

"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Re: preparations for competition in april
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 03:29:48 AM
A lot is in the presentation, so dress individualistically, and videotape yourself playing the piece several times before the competition.  You don't have to move around like Lang Lang but at least cut out what doesn't look good.  Practice your bows.

Walter Ramsey

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 12:16:09 PM
ok. I heard from an aquantince in the chat room last night that I should be confinded during my performace? Is that good advice? and what exactly does he mean by that?

PS: thanks walter

"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 01:16:23 PM
your guessis as good as ours. I presume he meant restrained? There are different schools of performance - some say let it all hang out and fling yourself about in the most spectacular outfit you can find - others say dress modestly and be very restrained at the keyboard and let the music do the talking..... both are valid and you see exampples of both on the concert platform - you have to be true to your personality or you;ll never win anything! It dosent rwally matter much what you play as long as you play it better than everyone else does - concentrate on quality not spectacle.

Offline RealPianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 03:18:40 PM
I think joining competition is not all about winning it.
Of course, winning competition is one of our aim, but besides that, take the experiences that you will get from that competition to make you improve more, get more knowledge, enjoying and inspired by others performance :). So, enjoy the competition.

I think we should play with high concentration, we should really know what we should do, what we are doing when we play the pieces, so, you should be aware about our playing during the whole performance. In the other hand, you should also being prepared mentally. Mental factor is one of the important factors beside playing well. You will play well at that time if you are prepared intelectually and mentally.  :D

And, don't forget of course to pray.. ;)
IMO.

If others can explain my points better..help..
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert