Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Does anybody teach this?  (Read 1684 times)

Offline steve_m

• PS Silver Member
Does anybody teach this?
on: February 20, 2007, 08:03:03 PM
d

Offline amanfang

• PS Silver Member
Re: Does anybody teach this?
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 08:09:11 PM
Yes, I am familiar with this, and I use it for some phrases, but not as a hard and fast rule.  Especially for short groups of notes (especially 2 note slurs, or groups of 3-6) slurred together I teach some down-up motion, particularly if the student is having trouble articulating it.  It seems to round off the phrase rather nicely.  But again, it really depends on the passage.
When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 09:09:08 PM

the majority of pianists and teachers are bad and unmusical

That would be really funny, if the wrong (?really?) movement of the wrist would be the cause, that there are so many "bad and unmusical" pianists around  ;D ;D ;D
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 09:54:54 PM
agreed with counterpoint (as usual) - she's probably trying to teach you suppleness in the wrists.  after your first six months or less - just minimize it to where she's happy.  that way you won't be OVER working the wrist.  just keeping it relaxed.

frankly, for older students - i would eliminate this altogether and just practice leaving arms at sides - and then - telling them that i (teacher) will bring their arm up by putting a ruler or something under their wrist - and to leave it completely relaxed (excepting that you want the hand to hopefully fall onto the keyboard and not marionette it into someone's face accidentally. 

younger students probably can't be terribly harmed by this advice - but i think the older ones should learn relaxation faster and easier because they've experienced it already in some of their endeavors with sports or whatever.  it's a mental set - where you say - ok - i'm going to relax my arms and wrists - but not so much that my hands slide down the side board  like spaghetti.

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 01:29:39 AM
steve,
that sounds good
I am not at the piano right now - but I just started "playing a phrase" on my laptop.
I automatically do that - but I don't usually teach it.  So that's interesting - I do teach the slur that way though - and the phrase is just an elongated slur.

Offline pizno

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 04:29:06 AM
This sounds like the 'Make a smile with your wrist' thing that I teach, to teach making the wrist supple.  I also talk about a 'bouncy' wrist, anything, to get that wrist to loosen up.

Pizno
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert