Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Etude op. 10 no. 3 tempo suggestions?  (Read 5551 times)

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Etude op. 10 no. 3 tempo suggestions?
on: February 25, 2007, 07:47:25 PM
I was noticing that the opening tempo indicated by my Urtext edition of Chopin etudes, for op. 10, no. 3 (the slow one), is 100 to the eighth note.  I'm learning this for a performance exam.  I really think it sounds best at about 66 - 70 to the eighth note which is way off.  Do you think it would be uncharacteristically slow if I choose to perform it at this tempo?  The other hindrance is the middle section that is "a little bit faster" because I actually like playing it around 108 to the eighth note with is a little faster than 100 at the opening.  But if I open at 70 and then jump to 108 would it sound too much faster?  I don't want to play the middle section too slowly as all those dissonant diminished 7th runs wouldn't sound like nice fluent runs if the tempo is too slow.  What do you guys think about all this?  Any suggestions?
Christians aren't perfect; just forgiven.

Offline dnephi

Re: Chopin Etude op. 10 no. 3 tempo suggestions?
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 12:18:00 AM

Chopin's slow etudes are marked incorrectly metronomically, if that's what you mean.  I am not familiar with this etude in particular.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert