Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Debut w/ Orchestra: Best All-Around Work?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Debut w/ Orchestra: Best All-Around Work?
on: February 28, 2007, 09:56:02 PM
I was thinking about this the other day; which piano concerti or works for piano and orchestra are deemed most suitable for a first-time performer? Examples of criteria might be how easy it is to stay together with the orchestra, the technical difficulty of the piece for both the soloist and the ensemble, the musical difficulty of the text, and of course the interest generated by the piece. If you can think of more criteria, please do not hesitate to post them as I'm just working off the top of my head.

Those of you who have performed with an orchestra before, what was the first work you played with one?

(I suppose I am the exception to the rule, since my own debut will be with a piece I wrote. Call me spineless ;D ;) )

Phil

Offline walking_encyclopedia

• PS Silver Member
Re: Debut w/ Orchestra: Best All-Around Work?
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 10:37:24 PM
i performed saint-saens second in g minor ten months ago, it was my debut (im 18) with a local symphony. it was a perfect piece for me, but for some beginners thats a bit advanced... i guess the correct answer to your question would be 'mozart', but i kind of disagree with that.  find a piece that you absolutely love, (if its mozart, great, if not, dont!) because you must be crazy about your concerto or you will NOT find the motivation to put the endless hours into it that are necessary.

good luck.

danny

Offline dnephi

Re: Debut w/ Orchestra: Best All-Around Work?
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 02:29:11 PM
I disagree.  Mozart is quite difficult because it MUST be note by note accurate.

Grieg is effective, relatively easy, and an easy one for orchestra.  I think it's hackneyed, but it's good.

Barber Concerto would be my choice though.  It's effective, powerful, and rather rare. ;)

Schumann takes mature musicianship.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert